Thursday 24 January 2013

BAIBS Wednesday 23/01/13

Well this is gonna be confusing but I'm sure we can work through it. First off though some new hellos:

Buon pomeriggio
Dia dhuit
Buenas tardes
God eftermiddag

And again if any readers from Italy, Ireland, Spain or Sweden would like to drop me a line I'd be most grateful. Or drop me a lime if you prefer. That's what that sentence first said.

Right, no blog yesterday cos I just ran out of time after Gran retrieval from Mablethorpe, but no show today due to the mother of all migraines parking in my head and refusing steadfastly to budge. And I should warn you that tomorrow's blog could appear anytime over the weekend. Off to Somerset after Friday's show for the weekend. Expect photos of Stonehenge, mentions of scrumpy, river cottages and crying babies. (Going to a christening).

Games on facebook. They do my head in for two reasons:

1: The constant filling of news feeds with people needing a new broom to rescue their sheep from their broken combine harvester or a scrutcheon pin to fix their rollercoaster. Does my head in but more than that....

2: The games are bloody addictive. I'm currently desperately trying to mix candy just so I can beat The Black Spider who's ahead of me. I'm coming for you Ozzy! I have to confess to having a farm for a while. I only joined Farmville to help my kids out. Within weeks I was on level 49 and they were both still in single figures. I even got to the stage were if I knew I was offline for a while I'd plant crops that I knew took a while to grow so I didn't lose any. Ridiculous. One day reality kicked in and I hit the block button. Cold turkey, it's the only way. I had a cold turkey on  my farm called Geoff. He's dead now.

Another thing I've forced myself to just stop doing is superstitions. I've never been particularly superstitious, I deliberately walk under ladders just to prove a point. Though this did once cause me to get paint all over my favourite Sex Pistols t-shirt so maybe there's something in this ladders thing. I did have three superstitions though. I always walked the same way to school and had to walk between two particular trees in Grove Park, despite them being out of the way. God knows why. I was never lucky at school. None of the lasses I fancied went out with me and I was always in trouble for not doing my homework. Admittedly I could have sorted the homework one out by just doing it. Why I thought that walking between two certain trees would miraculously cause the essay on 'How the Versailles Treaty Affected German Foreign Policy' to be suddenly sat in my school bag I don't know.

When I played football I always put my left sock and boot on before the right. I'd read that Alan Warboys did this and it worked for him. It's something I still do to this day. Force of habit more than anything though.

And finally. like a lot of football fans, I always had to wear the same clothes when I went to watch Rovers. The only change was an away shirt for away games. Same underwear, jeans, trainers, coat etc. I honestly believed in this one. Just to confirm it as well Rovers were on a great run in the 1983/4 season. Lost one game in about 24. That one loss was away at Blackpool and I'd worn the wrong jeans! But it was some time in about 2001, back in the conference days, big game at home to Rushden and Diamonds and we'd won well the week before. Put my 'uniform' on only to discover a pen in my coat pocket. I couldn't for the life of  me remember if that pen had been there the previous Saturday. I sat on the stairs wracking my brains for about ten minutes before sanity kicked in. How could a pen in my pocket affect how Rovers played!? I got changed, making sure nothing I wore was the same as the week before. Rovers won. I was cured. Christ knows what I'd have done if we lost.

Oh and England lost to Argentina in the '98 World Cup not because of Beckham's petulant kick, or Batty and Ince's woeful penalties, but because I wore facepaint for the first and only time.

As a brief follow up to the Famous Villains review etc. Please go to the link below. (not really a link, you'll have to copy it). It's the live session and chat they did on the show last Tuesday. Well worth a listen.

https://soundcloud.com/famousvillains/interview-live-acoustic

I'm off to get dressed. Left foot first.

Playlist Wednesday 23/01/13

Tom Hark - The Piranhas
Pelican - The Maccabees
Quiet Night In - All The Young
Island In The Sun - Weezer
Rubber Bullets - 10cc
Sun - Two Door Cinema Club
That's Entertainment - The Jam
Frog Princess - The Divine Comedy
Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Not Too Young - The Tricks
Last Train To London - E.L.O.
Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
Lost In The Supermarket - The Clash
Best Of You - Foo Fighters
Hunger Strike - Temple Of The Dog
Beat It - Michael Jackson
Let The Day Begin - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Regret - New Order
Rave On - Buddy Holly
You're Smile - Kiziah And The Kings
Star - James
Bring On The Dancing Horses - Echo And The Bunnymen
Everything Counts - Depeche Mode
She Comes In Fall - Inspiral Carpets
Jennifer - Little Comets
Fluorescent Adolescent - Arctic Monkeys
On A Day Like This - Elbow
Surrender - Cheap Trick
Fishing For A Dream - Turin Breaks
Two Tribes - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Another Love - Tom Odell
Lucky You - The Lightning Seeds
Mansize Rooster - Supergrass
Hungry Heart - Bruce Springsteen
Can You Dig It? - The Mock Turtles
These Days Are Mine - I Am Kloot
Place Your Hands - Reef
Why You Looking Back Down - You Addiction
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers






No comments:

Post a Comment