Tuesday 29 January 2013

BAIBS Tuesday 29/01/13

Train of thought. I love it when you just let your mind wander and wonder how you got from thinking about cuttlefish and their place in modern society to the overture from Rossini's Thieving Magpie. (I backtracked and eventually worked out the link: Cuttlefish - Fish - Marillion - Marillion's entrance music when playing live). I'm making this up. The link works but I've never once contemplated cuttlefish in any context. Maybe I should. Nope. Tried it and can't even picture a cuttlefish. I'm tangenting already and I haven't even started yet. Still, that's the point of a random train of thought, I guess.

Cheese.

That's were I meant to start. I went from cheese to accents and wasn't sure how. I was eating some cave flavoured cheese. I say cave flavoured. It was stored in a cave for a year (Yes, Wookey Hole again) because apparently the temperature in the cave is the optimum for maturing cheese. Maybe we should put chavs in caves, see if they mature. Actually just put chavs in caves full stop. Proper cavemen. Be like evolution never happened. Lost my thread again.

Cheese. That was it.

I'm on a roll now.

A cheese roll?

Help!

Right, it's quality mature cheddar cheese. Totally gorgeous. The blurb says it picks up some of it's flavour from it's surroundings in the cave, in the same way an unguarded onion will flavour everything in your fridge, hence cave flavoured cheese. If it is cave flavoured I recommend eating caves.

Which is how I got to thinking about accents and how when some people move from the place they were raised pick up the accent of the place they've moved to. (Think cheese speaking with an onion accent). I don't have a broad accent but it is definitely Yorkshire. I have noticed the further I am from home the broader my accent is. I once found myself in a pub in that London with a Barnsley lad and a chap from Bradford. We'd never met before but as the conversation went on our accents got so broad even I couldn't understand me. I presume it's a subconscious effort to maintain one's identity. I've lived in a fair few places apart from Donny (London, Hull, Scarborough, Liverpool, Portsmouth, Dudley) and only once had an accent influence me. The Scouse one. Found myself still mainly Yorkshire but saying la at the end of every sentence. Looking at the list I'm so glad I kept my accent. Hull and the West Midlands! Nasty. No offense.

I love that saying. No offense. It's quite obviously offensively otherwise you wouldn't say it. I'm gonna replace it with offense.

So, Hull and the West Midlands! Nasty. Offense.

Anyway, things to do. Gotta plan tomorrow's show. la.

Laters

SS

Playlist Tuesday 29/01/13

Tom Hark - The Piranhas
Quiet Night In - All The Young
The Day We Caught The Train - Ocean Colour Scene
No More Heroes - The Stranglers
Smooth - New Killer Shoes
Revolution - The Beatles
Fortune Teller - The 48ks
Hot In The City - Billy Idol
Up The Junction - Squeeze
First Of The Gang - Morrissey
The Distance - Funeral For A Friend
Oh Yeah - The Subways
Town Called Malice - The Jam
Taste It - Jake Bugg
Never Fade Away - Spector
Thunderstruck - AC/DC
Too Much Too Young - The Specials
One Way Trigger - The Strokes
Local Boy In The Photograph - Stereophonics
Born In The U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen
Jubilee Street - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds
The Jean Genie - David Bowie
Adore Me Dear - Bang Bang Romeo
Rat Trap - The Boomtown Rats
Antarctica - Sound Of Guns
Post Break Up Sex - The Vaccines
Don't Stop - The Rolling Stones
Light My Fire - The Doors
524 Fidelio - The Wedding Present
5:15 - The Who
In-Between Days - The Cure
The Woodpile - Frightened Rabbit
Genius Of Love - Tom Tom Club
Rock The Casbah - The Clash
Molly Gray - The DN All*Stars
Baby I Love You - The Ramones
I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones
Black Chandelier - Biffy Clyro
The Sweetest Thing - U2
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers

No comments:

Post a Comment