Tuesday 15 January 2013

BAIBS Tuesday 15/01/13

It's cold. Facebook told me. The walk into work at 6am is particularly bitter. My hands are warm enough. Check yesterday's blog for confirmation on that. But my ears suffer. I have big ears and the big hair ain't keeping them warm. Especially if there's an enigmatic breeze kicking about. I've contemplated hats but I just cant carry a hat off. I've tried all kinds of different types and just look a prat. It's a shame. I've always wanted to master the art of hat wearing. I do have a couple of hooded tops. 44 year old hoodie - scary! Both gifts, both with the Sine FM logo on. I'm very proud of them both. One was a Christmas present from Cherry Blossom, the other was a gift from The Beeds, a thank you for not falling out with them after the Tut riot I think! Legendary gig chaps. But with a hood up I look like a 6'5" ET. Not good.

Just as I typed The Beeds in that last paragraph they came on my iPod. It's what I call a Levellers moment. I was with my best mate Ian in Whitby a few years back (ten years now I think about it. Ouch) and we were discussing a Levellers gig we'd been too a few months back. We decided we needed a pub with a jukebox. Walked into chosen pub with The Levellers already playing. A little spooky but it's surprising how often that happens. For instance straight after The Beeds, Bang Bang Romeo came on my iPod. First time I saw them live, Donny Live 2010, Ross was wearing a particularly splendid Mad Hatter hat. OK maybe that one's a bit tenuous but you get my point.

Worryingly Beast's Die F***er Die has just come on. Maybe I should stop this train of thought.

I talked recently about the nutter on the bus. It would seem the nutter on the pavement is becoming more prevalent. Another nearly catastrophic pedestrian pile up this morning. The guy walking in front of me suddenly skipped to one side, executed a passable pirouette, before landing crouched kneed a la Bobby Charlton. I narrowly avoided taking him out as I power walked through the snow. The reason for this elaborate display: a banana skin on the pavement. As I passed he said, 'The proverbial banana skin.' Can an actual banana skin be proverbial and has anyone really ever slipped on a banana skin apart from on TV?

Further up Balby Road I saw two Ghostbusters. Well they were dressed like Ghostbusters except they were wearing DMBC yellow. Big backpacks that lead to a thin pipe with which they were spraying railings. Not all the railings, just the odd bit. For no obvious reason. Guess they have to find something to do now The Great Leaf War (2012/13) is over. One of them said to me, 'I bet you want one of these.' I don't. I really, really don't!

Nearly home! There's a gym just round the corner in someone's garage. For the first time today I saw inside. Kind of. As I walked past the garage door slowly rolled up. It was a bit misty and the light that spewed from the garage/gym made it all seem a bit Close Encounters. Then this medicine ball flew out just missing me. It was less Close Encounters, more The Prisoner. I'm not safe out there.

Had the magnificent Famous Villains on this morning's show. A stunning live set from one of the best bands Donny's ever been home to. It was great chatting with them. Had such a laugh, interspersed with some seriously good tunes, delivered to perfection. Check them out at The Leopard this Saturday. Live they look the business, suited and booted, oozing energetic cool. They HAVE to be seen. And soon if you want to catch them close up cos the big stages beckon.

And to prove my earlier point Famous Villains have just come on my iPod!

Laters

SS

Playlist Tuesday 15/01/13

Tom Hark - The Piranhas
Sympathy For The Devil - The Rolling Stones
Antarctica - Sound Of Guns
Baby Jane - Dr. Feelgood
Moving To New York - The Wombats
On The Pull - Straight Razor Angels
Wrecking Ball - Bruce Springsteen
Men's Needs - The Cribs
First Of The Gang - Morrissey
Goodbye Life (Live) - Famous Villains
Changes With The Moon (Live) - Famous Villains
Spies (Live) - Famous Villains
Millionaires - Famous Villains
To Be Like - China Rats
Temptation - New Order
Lightning Bolt - Jake Bugg
Upstarts - Johnny Marr
Hey Ho - The Beeds
As Good As It Gets - Gene
Into The Valley - The Skids
The Distance - Funeral For A Friend
(All I Wanted Was) Danger - The Milk
Falling Down - The 48ks
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Tommy Gun - The Clash
Hope Street - The Levellers
Stay - Rita Payne
Stingin' Belle - Biffy Clyro
The Only Living Boy In New Cross - Carter USM
NW5 - Madness
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Solid Bond In Your Heart - The Style Council
Running Up That Hill - Kate Bush
We No Who U R - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds
Pride (In The Name Of Love) - U2
If You Wanna - The Vaccines
Kings For The Weekend - Missing Andy
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers

No comments:

Post a Comment