Wednesday 16 January 2013

BAIBS Wednesday 16/01/13

Strangest sight on the walk home today? A bloke pointing at a pigeon. It's not like a Donny pigeon is a rare thing but he seemed fascinated. Add to that he was stood in the freezing fog in a t-shirt and shorts. I presume it was freezing fog. It's definitely freezing out there and it's foggy. I'd say that's the definitive description of freezing fog. Saying that according to the weather report I read out this morning the fog will lift later to be replaced by mist, only to be replaced an hour later by fog again. What's the difference? Answers on a postcard please. So I can't say for certain that fog in freezing weather and freezing fog are the same thing. I don't know why this matters to me so much.

Walking down Balby Road in the, possibly freezing, fog reminded me of an incident many years ago. Probably sometime in 1990 I was walking home from a night out in seriously thick fog. We're talking about 5 yards visibility. Near Hexthorpe Bridge two blokes were kicking seven bells out of some poor guy on the floor. I could barely see them but as I approached they stopped, just stared at me and froze. I should point out that I was in the middle of what I can only call my glam phase. Long, really long, black hair, a long black coat with a red velvet lapel the entire length of the coat, tight black jeans and cowboy boots. I loved those boots. They were a treat to myself from a bonus I'd got. £280!! In 1990!!! Black suede with a native american motif embroidered in to the front. That very day I'd decided the boots needed spurs. Took me ages to find some. Oh and I smoked cigars at the time. So basically these thugs heard a slow clink as I walked towards them. I'll be honest I was walking slowly cos I was petrified. I emerged slowly from the fog, big coat, big hair, boots, spurs and with a cigar on. They took one look and scarpered across the road with shouts of 'What the f***'s that!?' I was so relieved. The guy on the floor did the same. Took one look and fled towards Hexthorpe. Moments later I slipped and broke my spurs. Something about pride and a fall I guess.

On the way home bumped into my mate Simon The Window Cleaner. That's his actual name. It's probably hyphenated somewhere. Odd name for a chartered accountant.

 I'm joking of course.

He's a solicitor.

 I've totally forgotten what my point was.

Got it. Simon took a break from cleaning windows (didn't fool you at all did I) to tell me that on the basis of hearing yesterday's show and the live Famous Villains session he'd bought tickets to see them at The Leopard this Saturday. I had a tweet from someone this morning saying exactly the same thing. It's this kind of thing that makes the cold, early mornings so worthwhile.

Right, I'm off to avoid Mark Kelly's horse burger jokes.

Laters

SS

Playlist Wednesday 16/01/13

Tom Hark - The Piranhas
All Or Nothing - Small Faces
Elysium - Section 60
Tonight, Tonight - The Smashing Pumpkins
Undercover Martyn - Two Door Cinema Club
Upstarts - Johnny Marr
Bats - The Darlingtons
Chi-Town - The Cribs
Down In The Tube Station At Midnight - The Jam
Two Doors Down - Mystery Jets
Brand New Friend - LLoyd Cole And The Commotions
Burn This City - Famous Villains
World Shut Your Mouth - Julian Cope
La Tristesse Durera (Scream To A Sigh) - Manic Street Preachers
Atomic - Blondie
What Katie Did - The Libertines
Paper Boat - The Penny Lovers
Chipping Away - Middleman
Why You So Cold - Wet Nuns
Use Somebody - Kings Of Leon
Three Minute Hero - The Selecter
War - Edwin Starr
The Cutter - Echo And The Bunnymen
Barriers - Suede
Place Your Hands - Reef
All Together Now - The Farm
Babies - Pulp
Maybe In The Dark - The Crookes
You Held The World In Your Arms - Idlewild
Reptilia - The Strokes
Chemical - Bang Bang Romeo
Money For Nothing - Dire Straits
Fortune Teller - The 48ks
Alright - Supergrass
Jubilee Street - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds
Boys Will Be Boys - The Ordinary Boys
Heavyweight Champion Of The World - Reverend And The Makers
Pencil Full Of Lead - Paulo Nutini
Chevy Thunder - Spector
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers







No comments:

Post a Comment