Thursday 17 January 2013

BAIBS Thursday 17/01/13

Note to self: Dry your hair before leaving the house. Showered and straight out into the biting cold only to arrive at Sine FM Towers with icicles in my hair. Didn't even occur to me to go for the 6'5" E.T. hooded option. Stupidly put my flask/mug of coffee in my pocket too despite this never being a successful venture in the past. By the time I'd got to work my mug was empty and my pocket had frozen up. Joyous.

Went for the hood option on the way home but with my hair it was disastrous. Just pushed all my hair into my face so I couldn't see and I just looked like an overdressed wookie. I gave up after catching sight of my reflection and scaring myself. Did occur to me if I'd done that on the way in, with the icicles I'd have looked like an Ood. (Non Dr. Who fans may wish to google that bit - other search engines are available).

A taxing show this morning. The gremlins were up and at 'em. Four songs decided after about thirty seconds they didn't want to know. It was obviously too cold for The Smiths, Jimmy Eat World, Sylvian & Sakamoto and Nick Cave. Though to The Smiths' credit they did try again later and managed to get through a whole song. Somewhat bizarrely I dreamt last night that today's show would be problematic. Though in the dream I'd forgot how to do radio and was locked in the studio. Weird. I'm not a big believer in the relevance of dreams though I did once dream that I was asking my mates if we were going to Sir Don Bradman's funeral (again non cricket fans hit google) only to find out when I woke he'd died while I slept.

One of the most vivid dreams I ever had was the night before Rovers played Norwich City away in the F.A. Cup 4th Round, 1982. I dreamt that me and all the mates I went to football with had gone down on the train, even though we actually went down by coach. The train pulled into Norwich station, which was also the main stand at Carrow Road. Rovers had failed to turn up so the ref asked us to play instead. The goals were upturned chest freezers and the ball was a frozen bread roll. It was one of those ready sliced ones though so as it defrosted it kept splitting in two and had to be replaced. Try telling me that ,means something!

I've said before that this weather is Mother Nature accessorizing at her best. The sky was the most perfect pale blue as I left Sine this morning. As I walked down Balby Road the sky was getting greyer and greyer. But looking across to Cusworth the Hall was picked out by the sun, surrounded by stark, white trees, so crystal clear against the grey backdrop. It was a stunning sight. I'll suffer icicles in my hair and a frozen, coffee flavoured pocket anytime for a view like that.

OK, I'm off to check out the meaning of chest freezers in dreams.

Laters

SS

Playlist Thursday 17/01/13

Tom Hark - The Piranhas
Love Like Blood - Killing Joke
Rat Race - The Specials
Broke Up The Family - The Milk
The Distance - Funeral For A Friend
Freakin' Out - Graham Coxon
I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs
Recover - Dexters
Like A Dancer - The Enemy
Handyman Blues - Billy Bragg
Standing In The Way Of Control - Gossip
The Whole Of The Moon - The Waterboys
Night Boat To Cairo - Madness
Shadow - Gringo Star
If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next - Manic Street Preachers
Spread Your Love - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Antarctica - Sound Of Guns
Go Right Ahead - The Hives
Love Of The Common People - Paul Young
I'll Be Fine - White Valentine
Sheriff Fatman - Carter USM
Man On The Moon - R.E.M.
Monkey Gone To Heaven - The Pixies
A Certain Romance - Arctic Monkeys
Special Brew - Bad Manners
Panic - The Smiths
One In Ten - UB40
Hold On - Don Broco
Copperhead Road - Steve Earle
Eton Rifles - The Jam
Ready To Die - Famous Villains
Shot By Both Sides - Magazine
Do You Remember The First Time? - Pulp
Just Like The Rain - Richard Hawley
If I Ever Stray - Frank Turner
Honky Tonk Woman - The Rolling Stones
Is Vic There? - Department S
Boys Don't Cry - The Cure
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers





No comments:

Post a Comment