Thursday 1 November 2012

BAIBS Thursday 1/11/12

Walking through a graveyard on Halloween? Yeah, why not. Hyde Park to Balby, quickest route through Hyde Park Cemetery so this is what I did yesterday. Somewhat unnervingly I stumbled, literally, across the gravestone of a certain Simon Saynor. OK, Simon's a reasonably common name and there's been Saynor's in the parish for many a year.

Saynor's bike shop used to be on Cleveland Street (now the YWCA) til Great-Great-Grandad Saynor sold up to a Mr. Barker who later went into business with a Mr. Wigfall.
In 1804 Albert Saynor of Docking Hill Road invented the porthole. There's even graffiti on the Roman wall near St. George's that reads 'Saynorus eunt herum'.

What was disturbing though was the inscription on the gravestone: 'Shuffled off this mortal boil November 1st 2012'. My first thought was 'that's an unfortunate slip of the chisel'. My second thought was 'bugger'. Actually I made that bit up. He died in 1845 (Quarter to seven in old money).

There's also a gravestone for a Fanny Fish. Don't think we need to dwell on that one.

So music quiz in the Tut last night. 10 questions on horror films? Nowt to do with music Mr. Johnson! I don't like horror films. They scare me. Still an enjoyable night that lead to a very blurry show this morning saved only by the appearance of a very splendid cupcake and Richard Pierce trying to assist me with my Norwegian pronunciation. Furuholmen as in Furuholmen. Never did get it.

Homemade muffins have just turned up next to me. My cue to go!

Laters

SS

Playlist Thursday 1/11/12
Munich - The Editors
Burn This City - Famous Villains
Break On Through - The Doors
By Your Hand - Los Campesinos
Balloons - Foals
Somewhere - The Pilots
Sound Of Guns - Antarctica
Wrecking Ball - Bruce Springsteen
Freestyle - Unicorn Hunters
Personal Jesus - Johnny Cash
Rat In Mi Kitchen - UB40
Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard
F.E.A.R - Ian Brown
Smooth - New Killer Shoes
45 - Gaslight Anthem
Beach Day - Beach Day
Madness - Madness
Rise Up - The Skints
I Will Wait - Mumford and Sons
Design For Life - Manic Street Preachers
The Beat(en) Generation - The The
Making Plans For Nigel - XTC
Summer Of 69 - Bryan Adams
Best Of Friends - Palma Violets
Ca Plane Pour Moi - Plastice Bertrand
Rough Boy - ZZ Top
This Is Real - The Enemy
Take On Me - A-Ha
Jennifer - Little Comets
Rat Trap - Boomtown Rats
Let's Dance To Joy Division - Wombats
Truth Is - Levellers
Cabron - Red Hot Chili Peppers
This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us - Sparks
Keep The Car Running - Arcade Fire
Ready To Die - Famous Villains
She Comes In Fall - Inspiral Carpets
To Be Like - China Rats

1 comment:

  1. We have very long discussions with Daughter No2 (Child No3) about horror films. She thinks it's fun to eb scared. I think real life's scary enough. I can't even watch The Watcher in the Woods because it creeps me out - and that's a Disney film!

    Hyde Park Cemetery is actually a wonderful old cemetery. I walked through it (during the day time) in July. Got some photos somewhere.

    R

    ReplyDelete