Monday 26 November 2012

BAIBS Monday 26/11/12

It's 2pm and I've just got in. Show finishes at 10am. It begs the question what have been doing for the last 4 hours. I'm not totally sure. I bought a tie, got shouted at about satsumas, had some pie and just generally tossed it off really, gossiping at Sine FM Towers.

The tie. I'm a bloke.I shop thus: Go to shop that sells what I want. Buy it. Leave. I have no plan B and internet shopping just confuses me. I can buy gig tickets on line but I'm clueless about everything else. To be honest I'm hopeless with technology, which is a worry given the value of the equipment they let me loose with at Sine. Anyway, the tie. It had to be gold. Don't ask, it just needed to be gold. Not real gold obviously, that'd be ridiculous. Or even fool's gold. Don't go there. So first shop I visit, which I know sells ties doesn't have a gold coloured tie. Orange will do, but gold's preferable. It would appear orange/gold ties are out of season. I'm not sure what that means. I can understand a beetroot being out of season but not a colour. Second shop, same outcome. This is when I need someone to open 'The Gold, We Have Orange If That Will Do, Coloured Tie Shop.' I'm panicking now. No plan B you see. One shop assistant kindly offered 'Will red do?' Idiot! Thankfully shop four had just the tie required. I now own a gold, it could be orange, tie.

Walking back through town with my gold, could be orange, tie a market trader yelled in my ear about how many satsumas I could get for a pound. I said oranges will do. I must've loooked like someone who had a spare pound and was in need of 8 satsumas. It occurs to me now that he wasn't yelling specifically at me. Just my ear was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Like my eyes. Umbrellas. Ban them. Now! At my height umbrellas are lethal. When I walk through town in the rain I'm forever ducking and swerving out of the way of umbrellas. One day someone's gonna get home with my eye impaled on their brolly. Buy a towel and leave my eyes alone!

Pie. A friend of a friend has opened The Yorkshire Pie shop on Silver Street. It sells pie. Made in Yorkshire pie. And it's gorgeous. Sod your kebab on a Saturday night. Get a homemade Yorkshire pie!

Nipped back to Sine for a bit. My good friend Mark Kelly, from The Home Run, was in. We talk. Incessantly. About nothing. I love it. Then the walk home in the rain, more umbrella ducking, and here we are ready to start this blog.

A hectic but hugely enjoyable weekend has passed. Friday was the brilliant Vaccines gig at The Dome. They came out to Slade - Cum On Feel The Noize. Worked a treat. It's not that easy picking entrance music. I'm a fan of entrance music for live bands. It let's the crowd know you're on your way and, given the right music, gets the crowd going. Thunder used to walk a fine line using AC/DC's Thunderstruck to come on stage to. Gotta be a good band to follow that. They just about got away with it. Black Spiders use spaghetti western music. Spot on. Genesis had a good take on it when I saw them in the 80s. They'd done a video for Anything She Does featuring Benny Hill in charge of the back stage area. It ends with the band following the 'to the stage' signs just as they walk on stage for real. Dire Straits used to immerse the venue into pitch blackness so you couldn't see the band on stage and just go straight into the opening song. Marillion always used the overture from Rossini's The Thieving Magpie with a huge stage curtain in place which dropped at the crescendo to reveal the band already in full flow. One of the best I've seen was The Stones at Wembley in 1990. Thunder echoed round the stadium, a huge wall of flame shoots from the the stage as the opening bars of Start Me Up kick in, as it subsides it Keef's on his own on stage thrashing the chords out.

What I'm getting to here is this: I used to be in a band called The Unforgiven. We had this great idea for an entrance. Dry ice, striding on stage, long coats, cowboy boots while Metallica's The Unforgiven played. Brilliant. Just never occured to us that we then had to then, in effect, follow Metallica. We were awful. Lasted one gig! Still, I maintain it's better than shuffling on stage and mumbling hello.

Saturday afternoon and I finally gave the Tom Hark button some hammer at the Keepmoat. 4 times as Rovers pretty much demolished Scunthorpe. Excellent pre match entertainment from The Famous Villains and some quality pie, yes that Yorkshire pie again, made for an quality afternoon.

Saturday night saw me and the Cherry Blossom grace The Flying Childers down Bessecarr way to see The 48ks. Excellent support from both Martin Black and Sine FM's own Pete Liversidge. When The 48ks are on form there's not many, if any, better in Donny. Sounding tighter than I've ever heard them, songs I've been singing for 3 years sounded so fresh. And the new stuff's excellent. Bodes well for the upcoming album. Oh and a stunning acoustic version of Lazy Boy to finish with. Sorry lads but it's still a personal favourite.

 So I'm off to dry off. I don't own an umbrella. Then in an experiment inspired by a twitter conversation this morning I'm going to roll a sausage down a mossy slope. I think battered jumbo will work best.

Laters

SS

Playlist Monday 26/11/12

Shake It Out - Florence and the Machine
She Comes In Fall - Inspiral Carpets
The Heinrich Maneuver - Interpol
Hallelujah - Happy Mondays
Town Called Malice - The Jam
Sun - Two Door Cinema Club
Somewhere - The Pilots
Johnny Too Bad - UB40
I Don't Like Mondays - The Boomtown Rats
No Hope - The Vaccines
It Cant Be Me - The 48ks
Geraldine - Glasvegas
To Be Like - China Rats
Never Fade Away - Spector
On Trial - The Tricks
I Saw You Blink - Stornoway
This Is Real - The Enemy 
The One I Love - REM
Born Of Frustration - James
Love Spreads - The Stone Roses
Back On The Chain Gang - The Pretenders
Dreaming Of You - The Coral
Go Right Ahead - The Hives
Elysium - Section 60
Police And Thieves - The Clash
Silence Is Easy - Starsailor
How Long Have You Known - DIIV
The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
One More Shot - Rolling Stones
Just Like The Rain - Richard Hawley
Be My Yoko Ono - Barenaked Ladies
River Deep, Mountain High - Tina Turner
Just Like A Woman - Black Spiders
(All I Wanted Was) Danger - The Milk
Baby Missiles - The War On Drugs
Here Comes Your Man - The Pixies

No comments:

Post a Comment