Monday 5 November 2012

BAIBS Monday 5/11/12

Remember, remember something or other.

Interesting twitter chat with an American listener this morning after I asked American listeners to vote Obama for the sake of the planet. He basically told me it was none of my business and he wouldn't dream of telling me who to vote for in the upcoming Police and Crime Commissioner elections.

Two things:

One: The US election is everyone's business given their World Police tag. Romney's foreign policy makes Dubya look positively statesmanlike. He has an advisor, Richard Williamson, who has advocated Israel attacking Iran. With nuclear strikes if necessary. Well the new President doesn't take up office til January so if it is Romney at least we'll get one more Christmas. If I'm lucky I might squeeze a birthday in too. Just.

Two: How does a US citizen know about our Police and Crime Commissioner elections!? I know nothing about them! Though it looks to me that should we get another display of corruption shown by South Yorkshire and West Midlands police post Hillsborough they can just say 'Well, you voted for them.' I'm willing to admit my naivety on these elections. All I know is I've seen the adverts asking which crimes we'd like the police to target. Er, all of them perhaps?

Pleasant weekend had by your breakfast show host. Did the music at the Keepmoat for Rovers game on Saturday. I say 'did the music'. The erstwhile Mr. Rob Dannatt does all the work. I have 2 jobs. Check the volume levels which are always wrong. Too loud or too quite depending who you speak to, never just right. Goldilocks would hate it. And, press the button to play Tom Hark when Rovers score. I've been watching Rovers since September 1979 and it worries me that some fans seem to need to be told when to celebrate a goal. There was an instance last season when I forgot to press the button after we'd scored, I was too busy leaping around, and had several West Standees turning round with a what are you playing at look.Just celebrate the goal you fools!

Saturday night was Burlesque Night at Cask Corner and hugely enjoyable it was too. A massive thanks to Marc Jones at Cask, Reece Lightning for being too funny and of course all the performers for putting on such a stunning show. Oh and Reece's co-host was looking particularly stunning. No bias there at all.

Glad that DMBC pay attention! I mentioned last week about the chap blowing leaves off the path in Elmfield Park on a windy day. Well today they had two of them at it! Obviously Autumn is full on now so no half measures. Slight flaw in the plan was one blower clearing the path blowing leaves onto the grass, the other clearing the grass blowing leaves onto the, er, path. To give the chaps there dues they both had resigned we know we're p***ing in the wind looks.

Got stuck in a gate today. Pay attention Sheila. The gate at the Balby end of Hyde Park cemetery is a turnstile type affair. It's a squeeze. For someone my size (tall and let's say portly) it's a risk. With a rucksack on it's impossible. Got half way in then was jammed. The gate wouldn't move forward or back. As The 48ks say these marching feet were going nowhere. Whilst pondering another stupid death in the Saynor family (I'll tell you one day) an old woman came to the gate. Didn't say a word but quickly worked out my predicament. She looked like she'd seen it all before as she prodded me with her walking stick til the gate moved. I thanked her graciously and I'm sure she said 'it is a tight space'. In hindsight I think she said 'what a waste of space'.

So that's it for the day while I wait on Vaccines tickets and eat KitKats.

Quick shout out for Mark Kelly who quit smoking today. Catch him and Maddie on the Home Run Show. Got Ed Sheeran on tomorrow's show before his Dome gig!!

Laters

SS

Playlist Monday 5/11/12

Soul Man - Sam & Dave
Everything Must Go - Manic Street Preachers
The Jean Genie - David Bowie
Tonight - Iggy Pop
Best Of Friends - Palma Violets
You Jane - The Wedding Present
Addicted To Love - Robert Palmer
Spinning Plates - Middleman
Iris - Goo Goo Dolls
Right Now - Bang Bang Romeo
Whiskey In The Jar - Metallica
Afterglow - The Crookes
Slide Away - Oasis
Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall - Coldplay
Sultans Of Swing - Dire Straits
Broke Up The Family - The Milk
Kayleigh - Marillion
Razor Blade Alley - Madness
Fire - Crazy World Of Arthur Brown
Fire - Bruce Springsteen
Fire - Kasabian
Baby I Love You - The Ramones
Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
A Certain Romance - Arctic Monkeys
Wishing (I Had A Photograph Of You) - A Flock Of Seagulls
Tumblin Tears - Kiziah And The Kings
Walk On By - The Stranglers
Pelican - Maccabees
Summer Of 69 - Bryan Adams
Somewhere - The Pilots
Geno - Dexy's Midnight Runners
You Are The Sea - Feral Brood
Just - Radiohead
Never Fade Away - Spector
Hot In The City - Billy Idol
Mrs. Robinson - Simon And Garfunkel
Run Right Back - The Black Keys
This Is Real - The Enemy


No comments:

Post a Comment