Friday 2 November 2012

BAIBS Friday 2/11/12

Kicking off with a rant. Doesn't hurt to vent your spleen occasionally, unless you literally have your spleen vented, that hurts like hell.

Had a complaint that I play too much local music. Let's look at the facts first. In a play list of getting on 40 songs on average I play 5 or 6 local bands. Hardly excessive. So maybe the the complaint should have been too much new music i.e. bands he's never heard of. OK maybe that takes us up to 10 or 12 tunes the complainant may not have heard before. Still not an excessive ratio. My edict is if it'd good it'd in. Bands from all over the country send me tracks. Some good, some not. Take a band like New Killer Shoes from Redditch. They sent me tracks just asking me to have a listen. It's quality stuff so gets played on air. It's received some excellent feedback from you guys. Off the back of this they are looking at getting a local gig knowing a, albeit small for now, fanbase is already in place. Fanbase. For bands that's what it's all about these days. Record companies no longer send out A and R men scouting for bands and offering 5 album deals. Bands have to graft and rely on word of mouth. If the show can facilitate that in any way then I'm happy to help and will continue to do so.

 The Beatles, The Stones, Who and Kinks. David Bowie, Queen, Led Zeppelin. Springsteen. The Clash and The Pistols. The Smiths. Madness. The Stone Roses. Nirvana. The Pixies. Oasis, Muse. Coldplay. etc etc. All these were once unheard 'local' bands. Everyone starts somewhere. In a pre-packaged, X-Factor world, where people want instant gratification, from microwave meals to 20/20 cricket it's more important than ever that the grafters get noticed.

 If just one person checks out Bang Bang Romeo, Famous Villains, The 48ks, The Pilots et al because of my show than I consider it a job well done.

Maybe I'm looking into this too much. After all the main purpose of the show is entertainment.

Footnote: The Pilots track Somewhere is featured on a national press release by published author Richard Pierce after hearing it on Sine FM. I had a tweet this morning thanking me for introducing them to the music of Bang Bang Romeo.

Rant over.

Interesting show this morning. I ate too much fudge. I realize that from these blogs it would appear I eat nothing but cake and sweets. Don't be deceived.  I like biscuits too.

3 hour twitter conversation with RP this morning ranging from raspberries and muffins which rapidly became an innuendo filled affair that could lead to a collaboration on the next great novel: 31 Shades Of Purple, to lining ourselves up in an early 20th century fantasy cricket team. You be Wilf, I'll be Victor. You had to be there.

Sine FM Towers to Hyde Park via Elmfield Park. Countless times I've walked that path and only today noticed it's not straight. It curves, which could explain the bin jumping out at me last Sunday night. Admittedly the chances that I was walking in a straight line are, well, nil. DMBC had someone blowing the leaves off the path today. Not vacuuming up, or sweeping into piles. Just blowing off the path. On a windy day. Took a photo for inclusion in an online dictionary for the entry Futile.

So the weekend beckons. Lie-ins. Maybe. Rovers Saturday afternoon, Burlesque show at Cask Corner Saturday night which the Cherry Blossom is comparing. Sleep Sunday. Back to it Monday.

Laters

SS

Play list Fri 2/11/12
Oliver's Army - Elvis Costello and the Attractions
We Wear Our Bones - Bang Bang Romeo
My Perfect Cousin - The Undertones
Teenage Icon - The Vaccines
Silver - Echo and the Bunnymen
Everlong - Foo Fighters
Valentine's Day - The 48ks
Special Brew - Bad Manners
Pretender To The Throne - Beautiful South
Seek It - Richard Hawley
Friday, I'm In Love - The Cure
(All I Want Is) Danger - The Milk
This Is How It Feels - Inspiral Carpets
Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
Walking On The Sun - Smash Mouth
All Together Now - The Farm
Rock n Roll Star - Oasis
Roxette - Dr. Feelgood
Tequila - Terrorvision
Take Me Away - Steve Foster
Like A Dancer - The Enemy
I Still Believe - Frank Turner
Bubbles - Biffy Clyro
Silence Is Easy - Starsailor
If You Leave - OMD
Honey From A Knife - The Cult
Constant Craving - k.d. lang
Thousands Are Sailing - The Pogues
Breezeblocks - Alt-J
524 Fidelio - The Wedding Present
Drinking In L.A. - Bran Van 3000
I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance - The Black Kids
Yes - McAlmont and Butler
Millionaires - Famous Villains
My Sharona - The Knack
Shotgun - Eugene - McGuinness
Poison Ivy - The Lambrettas
Apache - The Shadows
Going To Bed Doesn't Mean Going To Sleep - On The Waterfront
A-Punk - Vampire Weekend
To Be Like - China Rats



1 comment:

  1. Brill, mate. And don't change a thing about the music. It's great to know that there are bands nationally sending you music. That's what it's all about. I think you're a hero. But then you knew that already. R

    ReplyDelete