Thursday 22 November 2012

BAIBS Thursday 22/11/12

Well this blog seems to be attracting some interesting followers. Modesty forbids me from saying who. I'm a very modest person. My millions of adoring fans tell me everyday how wonderfully modest I am. Let's just say a published author, a published poet and a lady who's son cooks in a cottage by a river have praised this here blog. It means a lot, I am truly overwhelmed which got me thinking: overwhelmed. Confusing word. Time to reach for the dictionary.

Why do we say that? Reach for the dictionary. Reach for the rule book, etc. What are the chances that when we need such items they're in reaching distance? I have ridiculously long arms and nothing like that is in reaching distance. Laptop, phone, cigarettes, coffee, cough medicine, fat Winnie The Pooh, socks. All of these are in reaching distance as we speak. None of these know the definition of overwhelming. So bare with me as I put a dictionary within reaching distance.

Thanks to the Cambridge online dictionary. (It was in reaching distance)

Overwhelm: verb (emotion - usually passive): To cause someone sudden strong emotion.

on that note

Underwhelmed: adjective. Feeling no excitement about or admiration for something or someone.

I get it. So can you just be whelmed? Dictionary again.

Whelm: noun. A soft sea animal, similar to a snail, that lives in a hard shell.

Think either me or the dictionary have gone wrong there.

Today is what I love about my job. Well, it's not really a job in so much I don't get paid and love every second of it. Most proper jobs I get paid but hate every second. Today's show just flowed, 3 hours flew by, lots of feedback on how much people enjoyed it. I've said so many times I just play tunes I like (with the exception of Poison yesterday - a request that slipped through the net) and hope I'm not the only one. But more than that I get to play, and work with, bands I'd probably never hear otherwise. This is the real joy for me. To discover for myself than share the likes of Doncaster bands Bang Bang Romeo, Famous Villains, The Pilots, The 48ks, Gbone and more and hopefully in some way help those bands, that is what gives me the most pleasure. Or out of town bands like New Killer Shoes, Section 60, The Tricks, The Sherlocks and again many more. There's some outstanding music out there. The Tricks for example are a brilliant band from London who tour their arses off and deserve any help, albeit small, I can offer. Got them some live radio arranged for tonight before their gig at The Leopard. (Tune in from about 6.30). Enough gushing.

Leaf War update: An uneasy silence in Elmfield Park this morning. Nothing stirred. The leaves were lined up either side of the path. The odd leaf on patrol but nothing major. Then I saw it, the council van lurking behind a hedge. I don't know if a van can lurk but, no, sorry, this van was definitely lurking. It was either a ceasefire or both sides had withdrawn waiting on the enemy to make the next move. I'll be honest it didn't feel like peace. I'm expecting carnage tomorrow. Watch this space.

Laters

SS

Playlist Thursday 22/11/12

Keep The Car Running - Arcade Fire
Hersham Boys - Sham 69
Take Her Back - The Pigeon Detectives
Like A Dancer - The Enemy
Baba O'Riley - The Who
You Held The World In Your Arms - Idlewild
On Trial - The Tricks
Post Break Up Sex - The Vaccines
Unbelievable - EMF
VPL - Gbone
The Only Living Boy In New Cross - Carter USM
Church Not Made With Hands - The Waterboys
Just Like Honey - Jesus and Mary Chain
The Return Of The Los Palmos 7 - Madness
Elysium - Section 60
68 Guns - The Alarm
My Very Favourite Stalker - The Adulescents UK
Golden Skans - Klaxon
Into The Valley - The Skids
Eton Rifles - The Jam
Time For Action - Secret Affair
Hungry Heart - Bruce Springsteen
Hunger - Frankie and the Heartstrings
Dear Prudence - Siouxsie and the Banshees
Sultans Of Swing -Dire Straits
Deer Caught In The Headlights - The Wedding Present
Never Tear Us Apart - INXS
Feel It Up - Clockwork Radio
Forbidden Colours - Sylvian/Sakamoto
Balloons - Foals
Chi-Town - The Cribs
Uprising - Muse
Rat Trap - The Boomtown Rats
Wild Wild Life - Talking Heads
Genius Of Love - Tom Tom Club
Love Her Madly - The Doors
Champagne and Cocaine - 12 Dirty Bullets
Seven Seas - Echo and the Bunnymen

2 comments:

  1. Marvellous nothing more nothing less ooh apart than you SHOULD get paid for the radio if the powers that be know what's cushty!

    ReplyDelete