Thursday 29 November 2012

BAIBS Thursday 29/11/12

Well I was expecting to write this all woozy and with a hole in my arm but because of this stupid cold my blood's not wanted yet. I'd like to say I give blood out of kindness for my fellow man but in all honesty I like the selfish feeling that I've done something worthwhile more. I don't really think what happens to my armful of blood once it's bagged up. Oh and I like the biscuits too. I actually started giving blood because I was too old to go on the bone marrow donation register. No over 40s! Bit harsh, but giving blood puts me on the bone marrow one too. Odd rule. Personally I think, like voting, donating of blood or organs should be compulsory. Or at least an opt out card as oppose to the opt in way we do it now. When I go harvest what you want. I'd steer clear of the lungs and liver but my eyes are top notch.

In all seriousness though when my friend and colleague Pete Meredith died recently 7 people benefited from organ donations. Just think how many families are having a better Christmas thanks to Pete.

Approached in town today by a guy wanting 27p to get to Manchester. Now I don't need to go to Manchester at the moment but if he knows a way to get there for 27p then I wanna know about it. Which reminds me, I was once asked by a bloke at Kings Cross if I wanted a cabbage. I should explain. In my youth I'd gig all over the country. Buy ticket, get to gig, worry about getting home after. This lead to many a night sleeping, or trying to, on stations. Normally there'd be a train first thing that would get me to work on time. Admittedly after a night gigging, little sleep, no change of clothes or proper wash I wasn't overly popular with my work colleagues.

It didn't always work though. Went to see U2 at Birmingham NEC on The Joshua Tree tour. 1987? No train back that night and first train in the morning would get me back to Donny way too late for work. So I slept on Birmingham New Street and phoned in sick from the station. Just as the station announcer advised passengers of the time of the next train to Bristol Temple Meads. Got back to Donny to find out I'd been sacked. Cant really argue with that.

Anyway, think it was after The Pogues at the Town and Country Club in Kentish Town, I'd made my way back to King's Cross. Spent a few nights on that station in my time. A very interesting place. You can buy ANYTHING! This night in particular I'd already wore a squatter's coat. He told me to try it on. I fell over. It weighed a ton cos of all the crowbars and bolt crops in the lining. Then this bloke came up to me and asked if I wanted a cabbage. I'm just a simple Northern lad in the big city. I figured 'cabbage' was some slang term for something probably very illegal. He asked again and opened his bag to reveal about 15 cabbages. And he was giving them away. Obviously the cabbage market at that time must have been struggling. Colombians importing cheaper cabbages or something. Probably cutting them with cauliflowers. I declined. I don't like cabbages and certainly had no need for one at King's Cross Station at 4am.

On the train home a very attractive young lady told me she'd do anything for some fresh veg. D'oh! OK that  bit's not true.

Laters

SS

Playlist Thursday 29/11/12

Radioactive - Kings Of Leon
Rat Race - The Specials
Young Savage - Ultravox
Getting Away With It - Electronic
The Messenger - Johnny Marr
Sing For The Deaf - Missing Andy
Slight Return - The Bluetones
Valentine - Gbone
Everything Must Go - Manic Street Preachers
Teenage Icon - The Vaccines
Brassneck - The Wedding Present
Mr. E's Beautiful Blues - Eels
Just To See You Run - Bang Bang Romeo
Moondance - Van Morrison
Antarctica - Sound Of Guns
One Drop - PIL
Molly Gray - Sick Note Tez
You've Got The Love - Florence and the Machine
Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones
Lead The Way - The 48ks
So Here We Are - Bloc Party
A Certain Romance - The Arctic Monkeys
The Man In Me - Bob Dylan
Enjoy The Silence - Depeche Mode
Spies - Famous Villains
If I Ever Stray - Frank Turner
Last To Die - Bruce Springsteen
I'm Your Witchdoctor - John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers
Let's Let It Go - White Valentine
Hedonism - Skunk Anansie
Let's Go Shopping - The Sultans Of Ping F.C.
Swords Of A Thousand Men - Tenpole Tudor
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles
My Sweet Lord - George Harrison
Handle With Care - The Traveling Wilburys
After Hours - We Are Scientists
This Is How It Feels - Inspiral Carpets
Dust My Blues - Tim Graham and the Black Cats
Babies - Pulp
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers

2 comments: