Monday 19 November 2012

BAIBS Monday 19/11/12

As regular readers will know I try to keep this mostly flippant. The odd serious comment may slip through the flip-filter but not many which makes this such a hard blog to write today.

This weekend my good friend Peter Meredith passed away. A devoted husband and father and a loyal and true friend. Certain people make you feel better about yourself without even trying. Just 5 minutes with Yorkshire Pete and I'd walk away smiling, feeling good about, well, everything. I can honestly say I never saw Pete without the biggest grin on his face. It was infectious.

When myself and, Pete's best friend, Mark Kelly did the record breaking biggest show ever Pete was our rock. Of the 72 hours we did Pete was there for well over half that time. Stepping in on our breaks but more importantly keeping us going, whether it was nudging us awake, fetching honey and lemon drinks or just generally keeping our spirits up. He did it magnificently and without him we wouldn't have managed it. Pete is , hand on my heart, one of the funniest, genuine, most selfless people it has ever been my privilege to know.

This may be a 'you had to be there' thing but it makes me laugh every time I think about it. Final stretch of the biggest show and me and Mark are worse for wear. Probably about 2am on the Thursday morning. 66 hours done, 6 to go. The studio littered with cans of Red Bull. (Other energy drinks are available). Mark decides to rip his fingernails off, depositing said nails in one of the many cans. I reach for a drink. Wrong can.  Mouth full of Mark's fingernails. I look up hoping no-one noticed. Pete's looking at me in tears, desperately muffling his laughter. He'd seen it all unfold. I caught his eye and that was me gone. Mark still trying to be professional as ever while me and Pete rolled around hysterically.

As a presenter Pete was a huge asset to The Home Run Show. As a friend he's irreplaceable.

Goodbye My Friend

Playlist Monday 19/11/12

Goodbye My Friend - White Valentine
Never Fade Away - Spector
My Sweet Lord - George Harrison
Design For Life - Manic Street Preachers
Men's Needs - The Cribs
Millionaires - Famous Villains
Souls Uncensored - Section 60
When It All Comes Down - The Icicle Works
My Very Favourite Stalker - The Adulescents UK
After Hours - We Are Scientists
I Always Knew - The Vaccines
Underdog - Kasabian
Star - James
My First Love - Paper Aeroplanes
Best Of Friends - Palma Violets
Back To Black - Amy Winehouse
Right Now - Bang Bang Romeo
Video Killed The Radio Star - The Buggles
Wrecking Ball - Bruce Springsteen
Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
Emily's Heart - Jamie T
Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
Inhaler - Foals
10/10 - Paulo Nutini
To Be Like - China Rats
What You Do To Me - Teenage Fanclub
Sound Of The Suburbs - The Members
Mr. Brightside - The Killers
Sun - Two Door Cinema Club
Up The Junction - Squeeze
I Don't Feel Amazing Now - The Guillemots
Slumdog Millionaire - The Beeds
The Messenger - Johnny Marr
Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
Song Away - Hockey
Somewhere - The Pilots
Shakespeare's Sister - The Smiths
Brother's In Arms - Dire Straits
Hi Ho Silver Lining - Jeff Beck

No comments:

Post a Comment