Thursday 10 October 2013

BAIBS Thursday 10/10/13

I've just noticed that I dated yesterday's blog 2011. I have no explanation for this and can only apologise for being a little bit befuddled.

Right. Here's three letters that I've never put together before. Never uttered them. Never before have I written them down but they do appear to be the parlance of our times and if I've got their context right then they fit perfectly so here goes.

MOG

Bugger, typo.

OMG!

That's the one. It's all I can use to describe the walk home today. Sine FM Towers to The Leopard. 10 minutes? Maybe 15. How much trouble can one radio presenter get in in quarter of an hour? It's a bit blowy out there. Walking down Copley Road and a bin bag was gusting towards my ankles. I saw no acceptable outcome to the bin bag wrapped round ankles scenario so attempted a little skip over said bin bag. Sadly I stumbled and landed, and I can't think of a better way to say this, between the breasts of a very large elderly lady walking behind me. The word I'm looking for here is horrified. Possible me more than she. I leapt out of there sharpish straight into Market Road were a car had to slam on it's brakes to avoid hitting me. Looking up I see that it's a police car that had screeched to a halt. The two chaps in the car were obviously practicing their good cop/bad cop routine as one was in tears at my predicament the other did lots of arm waving, looked very angry and appeared to say, and I admit my lip reading isn't that hot, trucking shunt, which may be a reference to the accident I nearly caused.

After apologising to all and sundry I wended my way to Cooplands, the bakers Greggs wishes it was, They do a bacon butty and a coffee for £2 offer. I got there at 10:55 to be told the offer finished at 11. But it's 5 to I said. Yes, helpful assistant replied, but by the time I've made it and then rang it in it'll be gone 11. So ring it in now. That's not our policy. 10:58. She may win at this rate. I was trying to work my way round her logic when her manager appeared. I think he may have been bad cop's brother cos he had a similar perplexed, angry look about him. Thankfully he saved the day and I got fed and coffeed. Although he did question my request for four sugars. I'm sorry but a sachet of sugar has never been a teaspoon. It's a definite design flaw.

Onwards and collared by the AA. Do you need car insurance? I don't drive. Building insurance? I don't own a house. Contents insurance? I don't own anything. Another dazed look came my way. I was definitely on a roll this morning. He walked off shaking his head. But it's true. As I sit here writing this surveying my belongings I own clothes, cds and books basically. 45 years old and I've never bought furniture. I think I'm quite proud of that.

Even this laptop's borrowed and I've managed to damage it already. I've mentioned me and technology before. Three laptops in two weeks I've damaged or destroyed. It's not good. I told Jon Kelly this morning and he looked worryingly at all the gear in the Sine FM studio.

A friend then text me my stars from some daily rag. She had no idea of my trek through town but my stars did say, 'Avoid making eye contact with people in the street who are trying to stop passers-by for information.' I have said in the past I try and avoid swearing here but let's be honest, astrology is absolute bollocks. Every town has twonks stopping passers by wanting information everyday. It's hardly a great leap to write it in someones stars and it actually happen. The estimated population of the planet is around 7 billion. So nearly 600 million people today are having exactly the same day as me? Get bent.

Today's show was awash with some frankly stunning live music. I'm gonna use the word veteran Paul Gibbard was first in. I first saw Paul play some 27 years ago and he's still got it and then some. I remember seeing him do a version of Springsteen's The River at a friend's wedding back in the 80s and somewhat cheekily asked if he minded playing it for me. One quick harmonica change and he was on it. It was stunning. The lump in my throat is still there.

Next up Alistair Pearson. I only found out today that Alistair had a life saving, and as he says, life changing operation a few years back. His outlook on life is joyously refreshing and everyone should spend at least 5 minutes with him. You'll feel a better person. His music reflects that too. All in all a highly enjoyable morning.

I need to venture out again. Not sure I, or anyone else out there, is safe with me on the streets but it's gotta be done.

Laters

SS

Playlist Thursday 10/10/13

The Mighty Ship - The Housemartins
Dave - Missing Andy
Spread Your Love - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Rose Tattoo - Dropkick Murphys
Hersham Boys - Sham 69
Saviour - Canterbury
A Horse With No Name - America (Happy now Steph)?
Stand - R.E.M.
Here Comes Your Man - Pixies
Don't Let Me Down - The Beatles
Watching The Wheels - John Lennon
All She Knows - The LaFontaines
Can You Dig It? - The Mock Turtles
Never Tear Us Apart - INXS
Kennedy - The Wedding Present
I Can See For Miles - The Who
Your Body Is A Weapon - The Wombats
Brilliant Mind - Furniture

PAUL GIBBARD - LIVE SESSION

Despite The Passing Of Time
Now Is The Time
The River

What You Take Is What You Get - Paul Gibbard
Babies - Pulp
Coming Around - The Vans
The Magnificent 7 - Bad Manners
Can Stand The Rain - The Talks
Thousands Are Sailing - The Pogues
Lorelei - The Pogues         R.I.P. Phil Chevron
Walking Down Madison - Kirsty MacColl
Lady Percy - King Charles

ALISTAIR PEARSON - LIVE SESSION

The Binary Song
Pictures Of You
I Don't Know What I'd Do (Without You)

Middle Sea - Yuck
Smooth - New Killer Shoes
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers


No comments:

Post a Comment