Friday 4 October 2013

BAIBS Friday 04/10/13

¡buenas tardes to the Colombian reading this. I do like your coffee.

Was thinking I'd not done a show with a thread running through all the songs for a while when I got a text yesterday from 48ks guitarist Steve Dale challenging me to do a show where every song title contains the same word. But not something obvious like love. I chose 'every' and allowed myself variants thereof: everyone, everything, everybody etc but still couldn't get the 40 something songs I'd need that fitted with the show's format. I gave up in the end and went with this:

Playlist Friday 04/10/13

The Mighty Ship - The Housemartins
Orange Crush - R.E.M.

Hit The North - The Fall
Certain Romance - Arctic Monkeys
Ripples - The Coopers
Do Anything You Wanna Do - Eddie And The Hot Rods

American Slang - The Gaslight Anthem

Lead The Way - The 48ks
Iris - Goo Goo Dolls
New Town Velocity - Johnny Marr
KInky Afro - Happy Mondays

Shot By Both Sides - Magazine
The Universal - Blur
Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall - Coldplay
Velouria - Pixies
Everybody's On The Run - Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

Dead And Gone - The Black Keys
All Together Now - The Farm
Left To My Own Devices - Pet Shop Boys
Everything - The Darlingtons

Got You - Split Enz

Friday Night - The Talks
Bomb In Wardour Street - The Jam
I Always Knew - The Vaccines
Lost Innocent World - Gogol Bordello
Elysium - Section 60
Do Nothing - The Specials

Spanish Stroll - Mink De Ville
On Trial - The Tricks

Into The Valley - The Skids

Diane Young - Vampire Weekend
Don't Wanna Grow Up - The Ramones
Drinkin' My Whisky - Slug The Nightwatchman

To Love Somebody - Janis Joplin
Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick - Ian Dury And The Blockheads
Invitation - Bang Bang Romeo
Sidewinder - Catfish And The Bottlemen

On A Day Like This - Elbow
Never Knew Your Name - Madness
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers

And I still managed to get in any relevant birthdays etc. Yay me.

People are idiots. We know this. Not you of course. Other people. A guy came into the pub last night and ordered a pint. Actually what he said was 'Can I purchase a pint of John Smith's smooth please if that's how you pronounce it.' He was English. Alarm bells were already in overdrive. As is my wont with smooth I tend to pour 3/4 of the pint then let it settle. For this twonk I only poured half while he looked for his money. He had a jacket with about 12 pockets. Ridiculous. He checked every pocket, then his manbag, then his jeans, (it was like the Not The Nine O Clock News sketch of the punk trying to urinate - youtube it) before declaring I have no money. No money, no beer. Simple as. He then asked if he could have the half I'd poured instead of letting it go to waste. Yeah I'm full of tricks like that. I politely asked him to leave. He walked out the door, got straight into a row with a group of teenagers which ended with me ushering them one way and him, somewhat more forcibly, the other. Five minutes later he's back. 'Could I please purchase a pint of bitter please?' I told him you've got no money. He said he'd found some. Must have had a secret pocket. I told him he could pay for the half I'd just binned in that case to which he accused me of robbery. He was asked less politely to leave this time. What is wrong with people! Twonk!

Overheard old couple conversation on the way back from Sine FM Towers this morning:

Him: I fancy burgers tonight.
Her: You haven't had burgers for ages.
Him: That's why I fancy them tonight.
Her: Ooh I wouldn't know where to look.

Now we all know I'm not the world's greatest shopper but I reckon I could locate and purchase burgers in Donny town centre.

Her: I'll look in here.

And promptly walked into Primark.

Well the weekend beckons. Gigs, football, a 21st birthday party, work and at some point sleep. May have to give the football a miss. The Tom Harking thumb has become a part timer.

Laters

SS



No comments:

Post a Comment