Thursday 3 October 2013

BAIBS Thursday 03/10/13

So I've just swept The Leopard car park. An arduous job. It's a big space and not keen on being swept. Still, why use a bin or an ash tray when there's a perfectly good car park available. I was hoping the sweeping would work off the pie. Not a chance.

Ah, the pie!

Last night I took part in the Man vs Pie challenge at The Yorkshire Pie House. 15 of us sat down with the aim of eating 2.4kg of pie in an hour. 15 of us failed. I'll be honest when I watched the competition a few weeks back I thought it could be done. I love their pies. It is the finest take away in Donny. But it only takes a few mouthfuls of the finest steak and potato pie to realise you won't do it all. What is more alarming is that as delicious as the first few mouthfuls are it doesn't take long til the taste turns your stomach. The pastry feels so dry and you struggle to swallow. After a while you cant even chew. No matter how much moving around you do, how much water you drink, how much you try to disguise the taste it just sits in your mouth almost inedible. And these are pies that I worship. I'm just hoping I'm not put off for too long. I managed 1.087kg of pie. 10th on the night, 15th overall. My boss Paul topped the leaderboard with an astonishing 2.378kg. We're both suffering today. It costs £20 to enter with all monies going to Bluebell Wood Children's Hospice. When you've finished you get to take what you haven't eaten home. I don't think there were many takers. I looked at my destroyed pie and the thought of taking it home made me feel ill. When my coffee and biscuits turned up during the show this morning I looked at the kit kats and thought I really don't want them. And I pigging love kit kats! So along with marathon radio shows that's another charitable event I wont be doing again.

I still wholeheartedly recommend The Yorkshire Pie House. Just have sensible portions.

That list of things I reeled off on Monday that I needed to do? I'm still nowhere near finishing the list and pie is preventing me from doing much today. So it's a lounge around til work tonight kinda day looking like Mr. Creosote.

Oh and apologies to Frederika Roberts for making her homesick with the Luxembourg blog.

Laters

SS

Playlist Thursday 03/10/13

The Mighty Ship - The Housemartins
Madness - Madness
Quiet Night In - All The Young
Mind - The Farm
Middle Sea - Yuck
Rebel Rebel - David Bowie
Losing My Religion - R.E.M.
Do It All Over Again - Spiritualized
Build - The Housemartins
Shadow - Gringo Star
Pride And Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Giant Tortoise - Pond
Reputation - Section 60
Black And White Town - Doves
Dancing In The Dark - Big Daddy
The Electric Co. - U2
Under China - Auction For The Promise Club
Star - James
Take Her Back - The Pigeon Detectives
Halcyon - Ellie Goulding
Can Stand The Rain - The Talks
Moondance - Van Morrison
Cadillac Ranch - Bruce Springsteen
Here I Stand - Gimp Fist
Mirror Man - The Human League
The Bartender And The Thief - Stereophonics
Skinny Genes - Eliza Doolittle
Life In A Northern Town - Dream Academy
Roxanne - The Police
Your Body Is A Weapon - The Wombats
Everything - The Darlingtons
Everywhere - Fleetwood Mac
Signal 30 - Public Service Broadcasting
I Don't Feel Like Dancin' - Scissor Sisters
Sidewinder - Catfish And The Bottlemen
C'mon Everybody - Eddie Cochrane
Somethin' Else - Eddie Cochrane
Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochrane
Debaser - Pixies
Silent Sigh - Badly Drawn Boy
Birthday - The Sugarcubes
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers

1 comment:

  1. Just thought I would mention that I really enjoy your blog mate.

    ReplyDelete