Monday 28 October 2013

BAIBS Monday 28/10/13

I have no idea what the Chinese are making of this blog, still, 早安

So here we are in the middle of the worst storm in over 25 years. Storm St. Jude I believe. Patron saint of lost causes and desperate situations I think. Have to say it's looking very desperate out there with blue skies and the sun shining. OK I know parts of the country are getting battered but I foolishly listened to the media and thought we were all gonna get swept away and end up in Greenland or something. I needn't have bothered making sure the remaining gazelle was suitably tethered.

A somewhat shorter than usual playlist today due to my inability to get out of bed this morning. It was a late night and, I'm sure this doesn't interest you, but all The Leopard paperwork's done and the lines are clean hence the late night and blatant misuse of the snooze button this morning. I slept OK and as I mentioned on today's show I slept like a baby only to question that. I've had babies. They wake up every four hours demanding things. Now I'll admit in the past I may have woke up after four hours sleep demanding something but last night was not one of those nights. Having just checked there has been no definitive research into which animal sleeps the soundest so I'm gonna go for I slept like a koala/sloth/gorilla/Saynor.*

*delete as appropriate

So today's show began and ended with Mr. Lou Reed who sadly died yesterday aged 71. I always feel a little hypocritical mourning someone I never knew. Maybe mourning's too strong a word. Sad doesn't seem to cover it though either. There is no denying though that he was, is, an iconic figure in music and The Velvet Underground and Nico, The Velvets' debut album, is one of the greatest albums EVER made. Lou Reed's solo album Transformer is also up there as one of the all time greats. It's a damn fine legacy to leave. So we shouldn't mourn. We're not his family or friends. We should celebrate the outstanding contribution he made to the world of music. And we'll just put Metal Machine Music down to either a contractual obligation or a hefty two fingers up to the corporate music industry, Brooklyn style.

Laters

SS

Playlist Monday 28/10/13

Satellite Of Love - Lou Reed
Venus In Furs - The Velvet Underground
Dakota - Stereophonics
Hunger - Frankie And The Heartstrings
Torn On The Platform - Jack Penate
Last Nite - The Strokes
Live The Dream - Cast
The Opener - The Courteeners
Apache - The Shadows
Caught By The Fuzz - Supergrass
Bam Bam - King Charles
Star - James
Vicar In A Tutu - The Smiths
On A Day Like This - Elbow
Disco 2000 - Pulp
I Can See For Miles - The Who
Faces - Ratells
Banana Republic - The Boomtown Rats
Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
Temptation - New Order
Homesick - Catfish And The Bottlemen
The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
Chasing Rainbows - Shed Seven
Walk On The Wild Side - Lou Reed
Perfect Day - Lou Reed

1 comment:

  1. In the interest of keeping this blog culturally accurate: "Brooklyn-style" -- and indeed American style in general -- only uses the middle finger. In Brooklyn, you might even do away with fingers altogether and just go with an Iberian/Italian salute, depending on your heritage. :)

    ReplyDelete