Saturday 23 March 2013

The 48ks - LIVE - The Leopard, Saturday 16/03/13

The 48ks have finally got round to launching their debut album. About time too. With the catchy title For Every Day A Memory (a lyric from Lead The Way) it's a gem. My first thoughts were it's a bit long at 15 tracks. I was wrong. Coming in at around 55 minutes and with maybe only one filler it's nigh on perfect. I was gonna do an album review but handily at The Leopard for the album launch the band played the album in full. Two birds with one stone for me then. Plus I firmly believe a band should primarily be judged on their live performance.

The 48ks epitomize substance over style. Their only gimmick is a rubber chicken hanging off Steve's mic. No rock star posing, just five lads who play great music. There's no egos in The 48ks. Those that know me will know I've been championing them for probably three years now purely based on the quality of tunes they throw out. My only complaint with the band has been a lack of professionalism but it would appear they've given themselves a kick up the arse and are taking it seriously. Quite right too cos as much as they've always been fun to watch live they're now showing a real belief in what they do.

In Ryan and Steve they have probably Doncaster's finest songwriting partnership and most prolific too. 15 songs on the album, 19 songs in the live set and I can probably name another 10 songs at least that have all fallen by the wayside over the last couple of years. Songs that other bands may have clung on to for dear life.

The album covers all stages of The 48ks from early tracks (Gotta Get Out, Back Home etc) right up to latest  tunes (Forget Never Met, Fortune Teller). The live set even includes songs written since the album sessions started (Trophy Wife etc).Told you they were prolific. I'd personally have dropped Pipe Dream for Marching Feet but what do I know.

Tonight the band are tight. Tightest I've seen them and I've seen them a lot! It's that new found professionalism and belief I was talking about. I love it. I've said before they could make a living out of selling hooks and catches to other bands. No-one does catchy like The 48ks. Steve is quiet possibly the best guitarist in Donny. He'll never accept that but his effortless solos are perfect and part of what defines The 48ks. Ryan has the perfect voice for Steve's guitar to dance round. Adam on bass is the most unlikely looking musician ever, side of the stage, unassuming, but giving his violin bass what for. With Chris on drums they make for an untouchable rhythm section. I've seen Chris start a fill before and wondered how the hell he's gonna get out of it but without dropping a beat he's back in full swing while I'm still working it out. And then there's Kato on rhythm guitar. With both his licks and perfect harmonies he makes The 48ks what they are. Indie pop/rock of the highest order but also inexplicably unique. The only non Dale/Lightfoot song on the album is Kato's Sitting On My Own. Tonight, and this is the first time I've seen them do this, Kato performs it on his own. Just THAT voice and an acoustic guitar, It's mesmerizing.  To quote myself The 48ks make music that makes you want to dance, sing and smile but they have another side too. Forget Never Met is as dark and deep a tune you could hope to hear and album closer Falling Down is a slow, acoustic, anthemic builder that gets the hairs on the back of my neck not only bristling but desperate to make a run for the door. It's a brilliant but scary tune. The 48ks are as diverse as they come and all the better for it.

They have everything and now just need that bit of luck that all successful bands get. They deserve it.

Buy the album. It's excellent and at £5 for 15 songs a bargain (33p a song)! More importantly catch them live. They're sublime.

Set List

Time And Again
Flick 'Em The Vs
Pipe Dream
Lead The Way
Forget Never Met
Back Home
Can't Be Me
Gotta Get Out
Feel About You
Take Me Back
Sitting On My Own
Valentine's Day
Fortune Teller
Something To Believe In
Falling Down
Lazy Boy

A Heart Beat Away
Trophy Wife
Marching Feet

No comments:

Post a Comment