Tuesday 12 March 2013

BAIBS Tuesday 12/03/13

Well I was gonna have a moan about the weather then decided not to cos, well, I always promised myself I never would, both via this blog and in general really and there's sod all you can do about it. OK so it's a bit colder than we'd like at this time of year but just take the gloves back out of their semi retirement and put an extra 'clout' on. Could be my step-dad was right on this 'Ne'er cast a clout' malarkey. I've tried about 5 different spellings of malarkey and I'm not happy with any of them. I've gone with the spellcheck one but I'm not convinced. Maybe stuff would have been a better word. Interestingly my spellcheck doesn't recognize spellcheck. Spellcheck itself wants to hyphenate it but when the cursor glides across the icon it most definitely says 'spellcheck'. This could be one of those googling google moments that might break the internet. (Didn't recognize google either).

So I'm leaving the weather alone. Kind of. I was meant to be seeing the original Status Quo line-up tonight. Mock all you want but before they became the epitome of uncool (somewhere around Margarita Time - and we all get uncool at margarita time) Quo rocked with the best of them. And who wants to be cool anyway.

(This bits for you Nidge)

In my mid-teens I used to go all over the country watching football and cricket. Football normally on the train or Rovers' supporters coach but cricket was nearly always in my mate Steve Keld's little blue Mini. Sadly neither are no longer with us. The music of choice on these trips was nearly always Status Quo's 12 Gold Bars and this Mini bounced the length and breadth of this sceptred isle to the three chord, heads down, no nonsense boogie of the Quo. Epic times. (Spellcheck really doesn't like sceptred. Think it's American. They don't have sceptres. It suggested septic). We'd sometimes play the odd mixtape and if we fell behind a white or red Mini a chorus of The Self Preservation Society would burst forth but I'd say it was 90% Quo. The Mini got sold on to my brother. He's 6'2. I'm 6'5. If he gave me a lift anywhere all you saw were four knees heading your way.

Alas, finances have dictated that I shall not be seeing Quo tonight but I had the fall back of Rovers looking to consolidate top spot down at the Keepmoat only to have that snatched away from me because of the bloody weather!

In a drunken moment on Friday night I promised Russ Graham a birthday request only to find out he never listens to the show! So this is kinda it. Happy birthday twonk.

So the biggest show ever beckons. Or even bigger show I think we've settled on as a name. Many have been asking if it just entails sitting in the studio for 80 hours. Well yes and no. And that 'just' lurking in there implies it'll be a piece of cake. It really isn't but I've waffled enough today so shall furnish you with further details some other time.

Laters

SS

Playlist Tuesday 12/03/13

Tom Hark - The Piranhas
Columbia - Oasis
Rebellion (Lies) - Arcade Fire
Brassneck - The Wedding Present
I'm Waiting For The Man - The Velvet Underground
Broke Up The Family - The Milk
Lonely Boy - The Black Keys
Oceans - Dexters
Enjoy The Silence - Depeche Mode
Feel Like This - Missing Andy
Shakespeare's Sister - The Smiths
Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil
I Am The Resurrection - The Stone Roses
Can't Stand Me Now - The Libertines
Sometime - DIIV
Caroline - Status Quo
Can You Dig It? - The Mock Turtles
Basket Case - Green Day
Carnival - The Cardigans
See Through - Auction For The Promise Club
Can I Play With Madness - Iron Maiden
2013 - Primal Scream
Ever Fallen In Love (with Someone You Shouldn't Have)? - The Buzzcocks
Blue Skinned Beast - Madness
Midnight Wave - Two Wounded Birds
Recovery - Frank Turner
The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy
Kings And Queens - 30 Seconds To Mars
The Stars (Are Out Tonight) - David Bowie
Spinning Plates - Middleman
Recover - Dexters
Use Somebody - Kings Of Leon
The Distance - Funeral For A Friend
Freakin' Out - Graham Coxon
Girls And Boys - Blur
Geno - Dexy's Midnight Runners
Signal 30 - Public Service Broadcasting
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers







No comments:

Post a Comment