Thursday 14 March 2013

BAIBS Thursday 14/03/13

Apologies for some of my wayward German yesterday. Apparently sod dass is not an accurate translation of sod that.

There's a footbridge over Balby Road, well, Cleveland Street to be correct but everyone calls it Balby Road, you know, near the flats. No, the other side. Where the upside down Union Jack is. That's it. Er, where was I? Oh aye. Footbridge. It's festooned today with barriers and red and white tape, and yellow tape, and probably red and yellow tape, and signs insisting people keep off, and even bigger barriers, and even more signs that basically imply if you set one foot on this bridge you will die.

It does tend to read as 'Attempting to cross this bridge will cause it to collapse in on itself leading to earthquakes, tsunamis and general world failure.' It's a worry cos yesterday the bridge was open and I was on it. Was that a near death experience? Can I add it to the bunch of stinging nettles that I landed in as young child which saved me from falling into a fast flowing river? Or going over the old North Bridge in a car that had decided travelling on it's roof was more fun than four wheels?

They say that your life flashes before your eyes at these times. The stinging nettle incident I don't remember, the upside down car I just remember sparks flashing before my eyes and as for yesterday on the bridge the only thing that flashed past me was a skater boy who was old enough to know better. He proved this by negotiating the steps down in a kind of head over heels forward roll type move that can't have done his aging bones any good. Unfortunately for him I didn't have my cod liver oil tablets on me.

Had a rather splendid show this morning. One of those that just flowed naturally. I've been accused before of being too diverse. How can that be a failing? The complainer would have hated today then: Suede followed by Iron Maiden followed by Joan Armatrading, but it just worked. For some reason today I had a stack of people get in touch. Texts, emails, facebook messages, tweets, it was all going on. Love it when that happens. I appreciate I do a breakfast show so most people have it on while they're getting ready for work, or getting the kids ready, or travelling to work, so not the ideal time to get in touch. It's so much more fun when listeners get involved though. It stops me feeling like I'm all alone sat in a little room talking to myself and playing songs just for me.

Although the playing songs just for me bit is true. The general idea behind the show is to play songs that an average breakfast show wouldn't. And also to highlight quality new music and local music. In reality I just play music I like and pray to John Peel that I'm not the only one. Getting feedback like I did today makes it all so worthwhile. So keep it up. PLEASE!!!!

Not sure about that last bit. Started off OK, then got a bit gushing, and ended sounding desperate. Oh well, I'm not deleting it. Took me ages.

Laters

SS

Playlist Thursday 14/03/13

Tom Hark - The Piranhas
Hunger - Frankie And The Heartstrings
Undercover Of The Night - The Rolling Stones
She Said - The Longpigs
Rat Race - The Specials
Everything - The Darlingtons
Everest - Public Service Broadcasting
Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
Molly Gray - The DN AllStars
Another Day - Tenek
In The City - The Jam
I Only Want To Be With You - The Tourists
Fortunate Son - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Antarctica - Sound Of Guns
Someone's Looking At You - The Boomtown Rats
Stay - Coasts
Fishing For A Dream - Turin Breaks
Lead The Way - The 48ks
Down At The Doctors - Dr. Feelgood
Hangin' On The Telephone - Blondie
The Dancing Song - Little Comets
Elysium - Section 60
Einstein A Go-Go - Landscape
E=MC2 - Big Audio Dynamite
Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Psycho Killer - Talking Heads
The Model - Kraftwerk
Sacrilege - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Do Anything You Wanna Do - Eddie And The Hot Rods
You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties - Jona Lewie
The Beautiful Ones - Suede
The Number Of The Beast - Iron Maiden
Drop The Pilot - Joan Armatrading
Black And White Town - Doves
Michael Caine - Madness
High On A Hill - Ian McNabb
Modern Love - David Bowie
Beat It - Michael Jackson
The Joker - The Steve Miller Band
Smooth - New Killer Shoes
Midnight Wave - Two Wounded Birds
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers

No comments:

Post a Comment