Tuesday 26 March 2013

BAIBS Tuesday 26/03/13

Had some interesting feedback to a couple of last weeks' blogs and both can be linked. One was about what makes a great gig and the other was commenting on The Hallcross closing.

It was suggested to me that the venue is also a contributing factor in what makes a great gig. This is true but also something that can be overcome. The Dome is not a great venue. It's not the ideal size or shape for a gig and the acoustics can be atrocious. But Kasabian and the crowd overcame that last Tuesday. On the other side of that coin is somewhere like Nottingham Rock City. It's my favourite venue. I've never been to a bad gig there. Not everyone has been great but I'm pretty much assured a good gig, whovever's playing. And let's take it as read I'm not gonna go and see a band I hate!

There was an interesting piece in the Guardian last Friday about the small venue circuit and how it's struggling. Someone tweeted me last week that with The Hallcross closing it's yet another music venue gone. Ignoring acts that have come through the reality TV route EVERY band started in small venues. The Leopard alone can list Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, Glasvegas, Travis, Snow Patrol, Coldplay and more as bands that played there on their way up. (And Babybird as one who played on their way down). Venues like Rock City, Glasgow's King Tut's Wah Wah Hut, Southampton's Joiners, Islington's Garage and yes The Leopard are the lifeblood of live music.

As regards The Hallcross' final hurrah I remember little about it suffice to say someone really should have took that microphone off me. I woke up at 7am on the sofa with aching ribs, a cowboy hat and the biggest tear in the back of my jeans. Don't ask cos I've no idea.

Today I give blood. I know!!! I've blogged that at least five times before but I have the time and the place and Cherry Blossom's going too so finally, this time, at last, I should be giving my armful of A+. Or is it O? Either way it's long overdue.

Short blog today but it's only Tuesday and I'm already having a hectic week. Missed out on seeing and interviewing Stereophonics yesterday due to all this hectedness. Made up word but I'm sticking with it. Things are too hectic for grammar.

Laters

SS

Playlist Tuesday 23/03/13

Tom Hark - The Piranhas
Tangled Up In Love - The Rifles
Breakfast At Tiffany's - Deep Blue Something
Chevy Thunder - Spector
People Are Strange - The Doors
Feel Like This - Missing Andy
Spies - Famous Villains
The Stars (Are Out Tonight) - David Bowie
Marlene On The Wall - Suzanne Vega
It's Alright, It's OK - Primal Scream
Song Away - Hockey
Why You So Cold - Wet Nuns
Post Break Up Sex - The Vaccines
Roll To Me - Del Amitri
Everest - Public Service Broadcasting
My Hero -Foo Fighters
Kennedy - The Wedding Present
To My Knees - White Valentine
You Are My World - The Communards
Bones - Bang Bang Romeo
Itchycoo Park - The Small Faces
American Slang - The Gaslight Anthem
The Prayer - Bloc Party
54-46 Was My Number - Toots And Maytals
Antarctica - Sound Of Guns
At Least Those Kids Are Getting Fed - China Rats
Denis - Blondie
Rag Doll - Aerosmith
Like A Dancer - The Enemy
The End Of An Anchor - Dashboard Confessional
7 O'Clock - The Quireboys
Revolution - The Beatles
The Royal We - Silversun Pickups
You Love Us - Manic Street Preachers
Rocketman - Elton John
Temptation - New Order
Tender - Blur
Stop! In The Name Of Love - The Supremes
Dead And Gone - The Black Keys
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The modern Lovers


No comments:

Post a Comment