Friday 14 June 2013

Strasbourg June 10th - 13th 2013


So what were myself, Mark Kelly and Jon Kelly doing in Strasbourg you ask, apart from reading Bond, arguing about the BBC and admiring the public transport system every time we stepped on a tram? Well this may not be the official brief but this is how I see it: Sine FM is a community radio station. It gives everyone involved at Sine chance to make a difference in the community. I'd go so far as to say we have a duty to make that difference in any way we can. The purpose of these visits, again in my eyes, is to meet and forge links with other stations across Europe and share ideas, see what other stations do and basically, if I can throw in a cliche here, get us all singing from the same hymn sheet. Compared to most of Europe community radio in the UK is in it's infancy and we still have a stumbling block of people thinking we're just playing at it. Hobby radio presenters putting out amateur output. BUT, as came across over the last four days, not only is our output as good, if not better, and more professional than a lot of commercial stations we also do make a difference. And this is all done by volunteers. I did come away feeling a little proud of what we do. Having the meeting in Strasbourg also enabled us to hear from MEPs and see what value they placed on community radio. It was all very enlightening even if the two days of meetings did get somewhat intense at times. 

But I digress. If I blogged about the meetings you'd find it all exceedingly dull. So let's have a little journal of Sine Fm in Strasbourg.

Monday June 10th.

The journey down. When Mark does a pack up he goes for it. We went for it big time, so much so that he still had sandwiches left on Tuesday. It also meant we were both too full to try the French cuisine on Monday night. I have a problem with my passport photo. It's at least 12 years old if not more. This is it.



Sorry it's sideways on. It's for the best though. As you see no beard and no flowing grey locks. This got me a double take leaving the country but almost stopped me getting back in to England. More of that later.

As we arrived in King's Cross a young lad opposite said he'd overheard our radio related conversation, said he was in a band from Brighton and would I have a listen. This is why I love my job. Expect to hear Southern Sunrise on the show sometime. King's Cross to St. Pancras and my first problem. Jon and Mark sailed through the ticket office, my ticket refused to be recognized and I had to queue up behind a French group who steadfastly refused to obey the rules of queueing. Finally got through, after the double take at my passport pic and onto the Eurostar. Not as pleasant as I'd imagined. It's not designed for the 6'5". Back to the queueing problem. Was lined up waiting to be served with beer when halfway through the tunnel the queue is abandoned for a free for all. My limited French served me badly. Paris, and a walk through the blazing sun from Gare du Nord to Paris Est where, and I think this was purely for our benefit, they'd hid the toilets. Onto the Strasbourg train and the final leg of our journey. 

Google maps had told me our hotel was a ten minute walk from Strasbourg central. A big lie. Our French was improving and we found out it was a good 30 minute tram ride. So off we head again with our first impressions of Strasbourg. A city so beautiful that within 5 minutes you're hopelessly in love. Another thing we noticed was the complete lack of litter. There was literally none at all and yet I never once saw anyone cleaning the streets. Pride in the place you live. Now there's a thought. Having spent the journey extolling the merits of their public transport system we arrived at the hotel just in time to dump our bags and go join the rest of the party for a meal. Off to Aux Brasseurs and after extolling the virtues of their public transport system we met the French, Spanish, Irish, Italian, Swedish, Luxembourg, Austrian, Romanian and Bradford representatives. Before that though a walk past Strasbourg cathedral, one of the most stunning building's I've ever seen. 



 As I said, myself and Mark had ate loads so we stuck to the beer. Jon dived straight into the tarte flambee. We loved this bar so much we came back on the Wednesday night. Back to the hotel for around midnight and ready for the first full day.

Tuesday June 11th

The European Youth Centre at The Council of Europe.

After extolling the virtues of their public transport system we had a full day of meetings starting at 9am and finishing at 5pm. I wont furnish you with details just to say a glass of red wine with lunch is a very civilized way to conduct business. This was the start of the highlight of the week for me. Getting to know our European counterparts and finding out how differently they operate their stations. There was a trip round the cathedral organised at 6pm but time was an issue and after a pretty full on day we decided to head back to the hotel and freshen up and meet up again later. That night we were meeting at Le Baeckeoffe d'Alsace for a typical Alsation menu. Three meat stew but the origin of the meet wasn't expounded on. After extolling the virtues of the public transport system we got a little lost. But we did get to see views like this



We stumbled across a couple of  the Swedes enjoying a beer and people watching. If I tell you they'd re-christened the street Rue De Boobs you'll get the idea. They'd decided I looked like Dr. Brackish Okun from Independence Day. We finally found the restaurant. Mark was dubious of the stew. I dived in for seconds. After a mix up with the bill I think I paid for all the Spaniards beer but this was compensated by Liam from Dublin giving me a pack of cigarettes 'cos I'd run out and couldn't find a shop open. Most went back to the hotel, myself and Mark decided on more exploration. Joined by the self named Dublin girl Sabrina the Drunk who decided to match us beer for beer. We found a little back street bar and were doing fine til the incredibly accommodating barman gave us free shots of Venezuelan rum. That finished us off so much we failed to extol the virtues of the public transport system on the way home. 

Wednesday June 12th

The European Parliament

Up and at em though Mark was a little fragile. Sabrina the Drunk was 4 hours late! Across to the other side of the City again and yes, we admired the public transport system. The Parliament buildings are immense. Imposing and beautiful at the same time.




 Another full day of meetings with French TV covering some of the earlier exchanges and in the afternoon a brief visit to the hemisphere where the MEPs sit. Mark got told off for taking a photo (strictly forbidden) and I got a talking to for raising my hand to vote. I was trying to abstain so didn't think it would matter. Oh and waving at your MEP isn't acceptable either. Only downside was the 5 mile walk to the smoking area. So by the end of the day we'd promised to meet up with the Irish, Luxembourg and Austrian stations as part of the required bi-lateral visits. I hope we do. That night was a proposed meal at Brasserie Au Dauphin but we decided to eat slightly cheaper at the bar from Monday night we'd all fallen in love with.



We all dived into the tartes flambee this time. Jon then headed back to the hotel to finish reading Diamonds Are Forever whilst myself and Mark found the rest of the crowd. Mark headed home around midnight and I ended up on a boat with the Irish, French and Spanish. A taxi back so no chance to appreciate the public transport system again and fell into my room to find Jon Kelly on French TV. Very surreal. 

Thursday June 13th

Home time.

There was a strike in France from the Wednesday to the Friday affecting train and planes so there was some consternation about our journey back. Admittedly I don't think me or Mark were overly worried about having to stay in this amazing place. Our train left Strasbourg at 12.15 but we got to the station early after lots of hugs, handshakes and goodbyes. Our train was unaffected so a final sit in the sun as we extolled the virtues of their public transport system before our train to Lille. It was at Lille I encountered my passport problem with the French official insisting the picture wasn't me. After lots of pulling my hair back and broken French he finally relented. Really must get that updated. Our French now was coming along nicely so much so that at St. Pancras when English passport control asked the purpose of my visit I started to answer in French. I realized the error of my ways and then did a Joey Barton, speaking slow English in a French accent. 

And that was it. Back to Donny after a hugely enjoyable and rewarding trip and a complete failure to do my show this morning through exhaustion. And now I need to unpack and pack again as tomorrow sees me in London to see the Boss himself, Mr. Springsteen.

Laters

SS



2 comments:

  1. Interesting. Would have liked some bullet points of what was discussed during the visit especially after reading your narrative that begun with "community radio in the UK is in it's infancy" etc. Maybe you could regale us all of these in a later blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Guy on that. Would LOVE see what conclusions were drawn and what the operational differences were between the different groups were. Obviously, the lion's share of my listening habits consists of various community radio stations in parts of the world that I'm nowhere near simply BECAUSE, as you put it, the output is superior to the commercial alternatives.

    ReplyDelete