Tuesday 18 June 2013

BAIBS Tuesday 18/06/13

I'm a pedant. I can't deny it. As I walked through Tesco car park towards the bus station after today's show I noticed a sign which says. 'Customer notice: This car park is for Tesco customers only'. Fair enough you might think but 'customer notice' means the sign only applies to customers so therefore non customers, who the sign is actually aimed at, don't have to read it and so can park there with no qualms. If I could drive I'd park there and refuse point blank to shop in Tesco just so I could argue my case. But then I'm a cantankerous old bugger.

And while I'm pointlessly dissecting signs there's one I pass on Balby Road: 'Polite Notice. No parking in front of these gates. All offenders will be prosecuted.' For a start we all know that people put 'polite notice' in the hope we think it says police and take it more seriously. Then there's the fact that it doesn't sound very polite to me at all. A polite notice would read, 'Would you mind awfully not parking in front of these gates. We use them a lot so it would inconvenience us a tad. If you must park here then just leave us a note explaining why and how long you're going to be and we'll work round you.' Possibly with a voice over done by Hugh Grant. And can you prosecute someone just for parking in front of your gates?

My brother once parked in a side street near Headingley when we went up for the cricket many years ago. We got back the car to find a note under his windscreen that just said 'cricket w***ers.' And this was years before The Inbetweeners. To be fair in two words the writer had pretty much covered everything he wanted to say for which he should be commended. Although in the interest of accuracy the note actually said 'crikket' so he loses points for that.

Short blog today. I'm at work at 4. The pack of 'listen to me' cds is mounting and I have to liaise with Jon Kelly to get 17 bands onto the show in the next three weeks(ish) for the do it unplugged sessions. Each band will play two tracks, hopefully from next Monday onwards, and you the listener will vote for your favourite. The most popular will play Doncaster Live this year and the top 5 will get 'busking rights' at the Keepmoat for Rovers games next season. I'll be honest quality control has gone right of the window for this one. I know most of the acts and no them worthy of a session but the ones I've not heard I'm going into as blind as you. Should be fun.

Laters

SS

Playlist Tuesday 18/06/13

Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag - Pigbag
The Opener - The Courteeners
Down In The Tube Station At Midnight - The Jam
The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song - The Flaming Lips
The Way We're Made (Made In England) - Missing Andy
Love Train - Holly Johnson
Signal 30 - Public Service Broadcasting
Sound And Vision - David Bowie
The Way I Tend To Be - Frank Turner
Ready To Die - Famous Villains
Cassius - Foals
Heart Of Glass - Blondie
A Certain Romance - Arctic Monkeys
Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
Awesome Wells - Steel Trees
Invitation - Bang Bang Romeo
Only You - The Flying Pickets
The Heinrich Maneuver - Interpol
Lost Innocent World - Gogol Bordello
No Songs Tomorrow - UV Pop
Special Brew - Bad Manners
Don't Go - Yazoo
Bohemian Like You - The Dandy Warhols
Too Bad (That's Sad) - Edwyn Collins
Yesterday - The Beatles
Get Back - The Beatles
Bam Bam - King Charles
Men's Needs - The Cribs
Geno - Dexy's Midnight Runners
New Town Velocity - Johnny Marr
Who Is Innocent? - George Borowski
Neon Knights - Black Sabbath
(All I Wanted Was) Danger - The Milk
Big Sur - The Thrills
Time To Pretend - MGMT
Run Right Back - The Black Keys
Jungleland - Bruce Springsteen (for Clarence Clemons. R.I.P. Big Man)
Friday Night - The Talks
Debaser - Pixies
Seven Seas - Echo And TheBunnymen
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers 

1 comment:

  1. Well my dear crikkit thingy...i once had to pay a bunch of urchins to look after my car when i went to Maine Road (yup i'm old!) to watch a Wigan RL match....i'm glad i did because the bloke parked in front refused and told me a was stupid giving them £2.00. When we came out i was pleasantly surprised to see two different lads waiting by my car....the other blokes car had four flat tyres........whoops! :-)

    ReplyDelete