Thursday 6 June 2013

BAIBS Thursday 06/06/13

Just took me four attempts to spell Thursday. Make that five. I kept getting an erroneous t. What's all that about?

So whilst the weather isn't quite delivering what it promised it was clement enough for me to walk to the bus station via the greenery round St. George's Church, or Minster as I believe he likes to be called now. It's a magnificent building both inside and out and of course has the only remaining part of the Roman fort nestled in it's grounds. It seems to be a much ignored edifice though. It's a church any town would be happy to have at it's heart yet it goes largely ignored by the good people of Donny. Is this just familiarity breeding contempt? When I lived in London many years ago I remember a friend commenting how he couldn't believe he used to get excited at seeing the twin towers of the old Wembley stadium. This staggered me. My walk to work had pretty much constant views of the twin towers and I never tired of it. Maybe that's a football thing.. Perhaps if I was religious I'd view St. George's with more than just a brief admiring glance.

Speaking of impressive buildings, walking down Balby Road gives excellent views of Cusworth Hall. It looks quite imposing gazing over Doncaster, especially in the sunshine. It's a definite Lord Of The Manor building, the master of all he surveys. Which brings me to my surname. Saynor. Derived from the French 'Seignour' it means Lord Of The Manor. I need to check the record and see if Cusworth Hall might possibly be mine. If it is that wasps' nest is going straight away. Couple of problems here. Seignour could also have been a nickname for someone with ideas above his station and my given birthname is actually Rowe, which is one of the oldest English surnames that could possibly mean 'one who lived in a hedgerow.' Or it could derive from the Germanic name Rolf which means 'renowned wolf.' I'm not sure what to make of any of that except I should probably be coveting the hedges in Cusworth as oppose to the hall.

The shuffle feature on my iPod is having an off day. It seems to want to play Sigue Sigue Sputnik every other song. I did my traditional singing along thing on the bus. forgetting where I was. This lead me to say very loudly, in a Germanic accent, 'Soon the whole world will know my name.' Definitely ideas above my station.

Laters

SS

Playlist Thursday 06/06/13

Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag - Pigbag
Night Boat To Cairo - Madness
All Together Now - The Farm
The Dancing Song - Little Comets
The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight - R.E.M.
Rock 'N' Roll Suicide - David Bowie
Fisherman's Blues - The Waterboys
Hungry Heart - Bruce Springsteen
Lady Percy - King Charles
Geraldine - Glasvegas
Blue River - Frank Carline
Tonight - Iggy Pop
Can Stand The Rain - The Talks ft Neville Staple
Night Mail - Public Service Broadcasting
Waterfront - Simple Minds
Dancer - Auction For The Promise Club
Sell Out - Reel Big Fish
Reach Out I'll Be There - The Four Tops
40 - U2
Old Yellow Bricks - Arctic Monkeys
She Will - Savages
Saturn 5 - Inspiral Carpets
American Slang - The Gaslight Anthem
Cemetry - Bang Bang Romeo
Elysium - Section 60
International Bright Young Thing - Jesus Jones
Antarctica - Sound Of Guns
The Killing Moon - Echo And The Bunnymen
Open Up Your Door - Richard Hawley
Late March Death March - Frightened Rabbit
Valentine's Day - The 48ks
Keep On Rocking In The Free World - Neil Young
No Hope - The Vaccines
Love Song - The Damned
She Said - Longpigs
Tangled Up In Love - The Rifles
Sometime - DIIV
Don't Look Back Into The Sun - The Libertines
Can't Stand Me Now - The Libertines
Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks
Sound Of The Suburbs - The Members
To Be Like - China Rats
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers




1 comment:

  1. just like that alleged perv "renowned wolf Harris?"

    ReplyDelete