Thursday 20 June 2013

BAIBS Thursday 20/06/13

Who are you as Pete Townshend once wrote and Roger Daltrey once sang, or more accurately wailed thus: Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu? More of Messrs Townshend and Daltrey later. All this will become relevant I assure you though I personally wouldn't believe a word I say.

I decided to walk to and from the radio today. I've been neglecting the gym since the biggest show and it's starting to show. My stomach was used as bongos during Saturday nights Wembley shenanigans. Nuff said. So another mini fitness regime. Admittedly walking home gives more time for cigarettes so it's definitely swings and roundabouts.

I digress. I was stopped on the walk home with the three opening words of this blog. Some bloke stood in my way down Balby Road and asked, 'Who are you?' I'd have preferred Roger type wailing but I don't think he had it in him. He clarified his position with, 'You walk past my house most days and I just wondered who you are.' Possibly what's most bizarre about this little exchange, and my chosen answer was going to be Pope Bison The Unsure, he walked off before I could say anything, leaving us both none the wiser.

And while we're discussing my born again pedestrianism a quick message to all my driver friends out there. If you drive past me don't beep your horn in a friendly, 'Hello. How are you? Have you get that fiver you owe me?' gesture. It is pointless. Several times I heard a car horn on my walk home this morning and several times I turned to see if I knew who the beeper was only to be left, like the who are you chap, none the wiser. Basically once you've spotted me, tooted and I've turned to look you're way down the road probably fuming at my ignorance. But it's the equivalent of creeping up behind someone, shouting BOO! and then running to hide. A pleasant text when it's safe and legal to do so will suffice.

So back to The Who. Had a little rant on the show this morning about an NME.com poll to find The Who's greatest songs. Now I appreciate the results are down to the the users and not the NME but I'm going to hold the NME responsible just for the sake of it. Number One was Pinball Wizard. An OK song but The Who's best? Really? But what was shocking was that not only was Baba O'Riley not Number One it wasn't even in the top twenty! This is a bit like having a list of the greatest ever footballers with no Pele in there. AND!!!!! and this is the bit that really riled me, the journalist responsible for the initial post spelt three of the band's names wrong: Daltry, Townsend and Entwitle. OK the last one may have been a typo but it's just as easy to get these things write (sic).

Rant over.

Joined on this morning's show by David 'Bo' Ramsay for chat and tunage. It is always a genuine pleasure to have Bo on the show. The man is always funny and entertaining and has more talent than is surely legal.

Oh and on a follow up to yesterday's polite notices I saw one this morning that said, 'Polite Notice. Anyone parking here will be toad.' Brilliant.

Laters

SS

Playlist Thursday 20/06/13

Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag - Pigbag
Hit The North - The Fall
Fire - Kasabian
Start To Run - Dexters
All Together Now - The Farm
Lost Innocent World - Gogol Bordello
Neverland - Bo (Live)
(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais - The Clash
Whisper - Bo (Live)
The Fortune Teller - The 48ks
Mrs. Robinson - The Lemonheads
Hurt - Bo (Live)
Road To Nowhere - Talking Heads
Famous Blue Raincoat - Fiona Sergison
Mother - Bo (Live)
Cemetry - Bang Bang Romeo
Love Spreads - The Stone Roses
Elysium - Section 60
People Are Strange - The Doors
Can Stand The Rain - The Talks
Too Bad (That's Sad) - Edwyn Collins
Regret - New Order
High On A Hill - Ian McNabb
Birdhouse In Your Soul - They Might Be Giants
Girlfriend In A Coma - The Smiths
Girl From Mars - Ash
Like A Dancer - The Enemy
Easy - The Commodores
You Overdid It Doll - The Courteeners
New Town Velocity - Johnny Marr
Roxanne - The Police
Hungry Like The Wolf - Duran Duran
Do I Wanna Know? - The Arctic Monkeys
Local Boy In The Photograph - Stereophonics
Wouldn't It Be Good - The Beach Boys
American Slang - The Gaslight Anthem
In-Between Days - The Cure
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers


No comments:

Post a Comment