Wednesday 5 June 2013

BAIBS Wednesday 05/06/13

Blame me. I mentioned shorts and my knees yesterday and the sun's done one. And bonjour to the Parisian who complemented my French. Google translate is a wonderful thing. Next week I'm relying on Mark Kelly.

This blog has got so sidetracked. Got involved with conversations about Mapfest, Donny Live, potato and gravy stocks, sloths and bagels.

There's a stick of Cleethorpes' rock sat next to meet. Just sat there. Saying and doing nothing. I only know it's from Cleggy 'cos of the sticker on it, the one that gets glued to the rock that means you end up eating a black and white photo of a pier. The writing through it seems to say #le&*herpes. I could be wrong. I only mention it 'cos I don't know where it came from. Don't say Cleethorpes! I mean I don't know how it got from the Lincolnshire coast to my dining room table. Or how it's survived this long. Just had a bite. It's gonna be surviving a while longer.

Back to Doncaster Live. I mentioned this on facebook and now I'm going to do so again in further detail. I know of Doncaster bands with decent followings who have been told that if they've played the main stage in the past they won't be invited to again. I appreciate it shouldn't be the same bands every year and new talent should be welcomed but bands that played 3 or 4 years ago who have obviously progressed should be offered a slot higher up the bill from their first appearance to show how they've matured and developed. Also if you automatically rule out over 50 acts quality control takes a nosedive straight away. I know of 2 bands who've played early slots on the main stage in the past one of whom played the BBC Introducing stage at Leeds Festival last year, one who will be playing the BBC Introducing stage at this year's T In The Park. Both local bands. Surely we should be celebrating their success and showing just what Donny bands can achieve. They should have later slots and be an inspiration to the up and coming bands. Not told you're surplus to requirements 'cos you played the 1pm Sunday slot to 28 people 4 years ago. Imagine a name band being told by the Leeds/Reading organisers 'Ah, you played low down on the bill in 2010 so despite you now being the biggest live pull on the planet we won't be asking you to play again. Ever.' OK bit extreme but to all intents and purposes it's the same principle. And just to finish off I can also name at least 3 bands that have played the Donny Live main stage more than once in the last 3 years so they're not even consistent. I'm a big supporter of Doncaster Live. It has the potential to really showcase local talent and give bands the chance to build a sizable fanbase as well as share a stage with seasoned professionals. The organisers just need to give themselves every chance of getting it right.

I've run out of time to rant about sloths and bagels now.

Laters

SS

Playlist Wednesday 05/06/13

Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag - Pigbag
Wrapped Around Your Finger - The Police
Nothing Our Way - Frankie And The Heartstrings
Goldfinger - Ash
Hold The Magic - Officer Kicks
Bluetonic - The Bluetones
Under China - Auction For The Promise Club
Last Train To Transcentral - KLF
Alright - The Subways
End Of A Century - Blur
Made Of Stone - The Stone Roses
She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult
Moondance - Van Morrison
Tantalise - Jimmy The Hoover
Pure Morning - Placebo
It's Alright, It's OK - Primal Scream
Whatever Happened To My Rock N' Roll? - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Invitation - Bang Bang Romeo
10/10 - Paulo Nutini
Ma And Pa - Fishbone
You Overdid It Doll - The Courteneers
Stay - Rita Payne
Hound Dog - Elvis Presley
Kennedy - The Wedding Present
Cardiac Arrest - Madness
Like A Dancer - The Enemy
Black And White Town - Doves
Making Plans For Nigel - XTC
Billion Dollar Babies - Alice Cooper
Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
I Wonna Be Sedated - The Ramones
Cut Me Down - Lloyd Cole And The Commotions
Long Shot Kick De Bucket - The Pioneers
I Will Steal You Back - Jimmy Eat World
The Caterpillar - The Cure
Two Tribes - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Pretty In Pink - The Pyschedelic Furs
Revolution - Young Kato
Honey - Swim Deep
Papillion - The Editors
Bigmouth Strikes Again - The Smiths
Egyptian Reggae - JonathanRichman And The Modern Lovers





No comments:

Post a Comment