Wednesday 7 August 2013

BAIBS Wednesday 07/08/13

Decided on a proper early night last night. Get some decent sleep instead of my usual 4 hours. Did that and woke up more shattered than ever. Back to the double ended candle methinks.

A definite shlog today. At work already. All set up but only got 27 minutes til the doors open.

I used to do this when I played Sunday League football, many many years ago. Hated to miss out on a Saturday night so went out and braved the consequences on the football pitch the next morning. Every now and then I decided to be good, stay in on a Saturday. Grit my teeth through Blind Date, stare catatonic at Casualty, endure Jimmy Hill on Match Of The Day and get to bed earlyish refreshed for the game Sunday morning. I was never a great player but I was miles better when I played with a hangover, or sometimes still drunk.

It wasn't just me either.I played centre half and I distinctly remember once having the opposing striker in my pocket all first half. He never got a sniff. We compared hangovers and his was far worse. At half time I saw him throwing up. In the second half he ran rings round me. I couldn't get near him and he scored a match winning hat-trick.

I always liked to think of myself as a hard but fair player. This was not the case. I was just dirty. As Charlie Williams (comedian and ex-Rovers) once said, 'Either the ball or the player got past me. Never both.' Back in the late '80s I played against one of the Donny Belles and thought I'd go easy if we went in for a tackle. First minute, 50/50 ball. I went flying 6' up in the air, nearly broke my ankle and she went scurrying off with the ball. Pretty much set the tone for the match. Found out later it was Karen Walker.83 England caps and nicknamed 'The Wacker.'

Speaking of football Tom Hark night at The Keepmoat last night. Yes I know I said yesterday there was to be no goal music but it was a decision overturned at the last minute. Saying that we only used it once and that was in the final minute. Same problem as Saturday, Rovers midfield looks strong, defence steady but we desperately need a striker. Though we did hit the woodwork 3 times. If they'd gone in it'd be problem? What problem. But that would be papering over the cracks.

Anyway, 12 minutes to opening. Shlog over.

Laters

SS

Playlist Wednesday 07/08/13

The Mighty Ship - The Housemartins
Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
When You Were Young - The Killers
The Snake - Al Wilson
We Are The Foolish - General Fiasco
Jennifer - Little Comets
Ghost At The Wedding - The Throbatrons (From The Live Do It Unplugged Session)
Birdhouse In Your Soul - They Might Be Giants
Cemetry - Bang Bang Romeo
Drink, Dance, Play - Young Kato
Girlfriend In A Coma - The Smiths
Can Stand The Rain - The Talks
The Bucket - Kings Of Leon
I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) - Genesis
Faces - The Ratells
Message In A Bottle - The Police
Did I Disappoint You - James Foy (From The Live Do It Unplugged Session)
Heroes - David Bowie
Your Love Alone Is Not Enough - Manic Street Preachers
Watch Yourself (Live) - The Darlingtons
Right Action - Franz Ferdinand
Dream Factory - Section 60
Olympian - Gene
Gotta get Out - The 48ks
Long Nights - Eddie Vedder
Mirror In The Bathroom - The Beat
She's A Star - James
Rebirth - Yuck
Everybody's On The Run - Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
Dog Eat Dog - The In Vitro Babies (From The Live Do It Unplugged Session)
Someone's Looking At You - The Boomtown Rats
Giant Tortoise - Pond
Just - Radiohead
The Opener - The Courteeners
Can I Play With Madness - Iron Maiden
World Wide Web - 13 Women
The Woodpile - Frightened Rabbit
Like A Dancer - The Enemy
Shout To The Top - The Style Council
Goodbye Kiss - Kasabian
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers

No comments:

Post a Comment