Friday 23 August 2013

BAIBS Friday 23/08/13

Another shlog today. Work very shortly and I've been held up by the weekly who can walk slowest through Doncaster market place competition. The lass in front of me was doing so well til she came to a dead stop and was disqualified. It meant more time to endure the lone busker. Now call me an old fart if you like (I prefer the word traditionalist) but busking surely doesn't involve an amp and a CD backing track. Acoustic only surely! I felt like a Dylan fan at the Newport Folk Festival. And playing Blanket On The Ground three times on the trot 'cos your crappy backing track CD is buggered is unacceptable also.

People ask were do I get my playlist from. That one's actually true. I have been asked that at least twice. Well I do mostly make it up as I go along. Birthdays and relevant this day in history get played. Any suitable new music does. The odd request if it fits in, as someone found out today. Learn the rules! The rest is just me which is why some songs get played more than others. It's like when you stand at a jukebox and suddenly forget every song you've ever known. For some reason when my mind goes blank James are my go to band, so if you ever hear a James track on the show you know while it's playing I'm desperately wracking my brains for inspiration.

Other outside influences help. I actually carry around pen and paper in case I hear something somewhere I might want to play. And yesterday's show started with The Beatles' Helter Skelter purely because I walked past a helter skelter on the way in.

For a change I have a hectic weekend. Work today then off to Wakefield tonight to see the brilliant Middleman at The Hop, guest list of course. Work again tomorrow then the Cusworth Music Festival on Sunday. Stafford Galli play their 367th penultimate gig. The awesome AVIT Blues Band and Chantel McGregor are on the bill and headlining is the legendary Wilko Johnson. As has been widely publicised Wilko has terminal cancer but the man who virtually invented pub rock is still giving it his all. I have an interview lined up. I expect it to be emotional and humbling. Oh and yes I'm on the Cusworth guest list. One day soon I intend to pay to see a band, although on that note I'm still paying for last year's Leeds Fest!

Like I said it's a quickie today so have a great weekend and catch you all on Monday.

Laters

SS

Playlist Friday 23/08/13

The Mighty Ship - The Housemartins
The Bucket - Kings Of Leon
Don't Stop - The Rolling Stones
Country House - Blur
Fictional State - To Kill A King
Helpless - Middleman
Shelter Song - The Temples
The Killing Moon - Echo And The Bunnymen
Friday Night - The Talks
The Great Leap Forward - Billy Bragg
I Lost Myself At Hello - Infirmity
Alright - Supergrass
Country Girl - Primal Scream
Midnight Wave - Two Wounded Birds
Everest - Public Service Broadcasting
Last Nite - The Strokes
Misty Morning, Albert Bridge - The Pogues
Mirror In The Bathroom - The Beat
Lost - The Pigeon Detectives
Help Me - Chantel McGregor
The Distance - Funeral For A Friend
Shock The Monkey - Peter Gabriel
Cure - The Missing Pages
Chocolate - The 1975
7 O Clock - The Quireboys
Drinkin' My Whisky - Slug The Nightwatchman
She Said - Longpigs
Geno - Dexy's Midnight Runners
Holidays In The Sun - The Sex Pistols
Kelly's Heroes - Black Grape
Step On - Happy Mondays
Roxette - Dr. Feelgood
Down In The Tube Station At Midnight - The Jam
Sinful - Pete Wylie
If You Wanna - The Vaccines
World Wide Web - 13 Women
Baba O'Riley - The Who
Basket Case - Green Day
Soul Uncensored - Section 60
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers

No comments:

Post a Comment