Tuesday 13 August 2013

BAIBS Tuesday 13/08/13

A late one today. Just not been feeling myself. Stop it.

First up 안녕하세요 to whoever it is reading this in South Korea.

Many thanks to Mike Laidlaw who offered grice up as a plural for grouse. I'm still none the wiser. Let me check.

It would appear the collective noun is a brood of grouse, so now we know. Grouse don't strike me as particularly broody though. Grouse is also Australian slang for excellent as in Ian Bell's batting has been grouse this series.

Speaking of cricket, as is my wont, many thanks to my fellow cricket buff Andy Milner for suggesting that chocolate coated rich tea biscuits are just wrong. He may have a point. I don't think I've ever had a pack of biscuits last over three days before.

Andy is the man behind The Yorkshire Pie House, Donny's finest take away establishment. He is currently offering a man vs pie competition. 2.4 kilos of seriously good steak and potato pie in an hour. I'm so tempted but it's filling stuff. Still, it'd feed me for a week and I could leave the chocolate coated rich tea biscuits alone.

And let's get the last bit of cricket out the way. I went to work yesterday evening with the Aussie's handily placed in their run chase to win the fourth test so was somewhat surprised to check the close of play score after work to find England had won by 74 runs. 3-0 in the series with one to play. It should be said that with a decent middle order Oz could have won the 1st and 4th tests. Weather stopped them in the 3rd test so it has been a closer series than history will show. But it still looks like an Australian team in disarray. No real team spirit and too many weak links. Even as a Pom I want to see a decent Aussie cricket team.

Does anyone know how we acquired the nickname Pommies? I heard legendary Australian fast bowler say it came from Prisoners Of Her Majesty's Service - POHMS. But surely the Aussies were the prisoners that we sent over there. Let me see if I can find out.

OK, the Australian military favours the prisoner acronym, the Australian tourist board claims it is from the word pomegranate and refers to the Brits purported frequency to get sunburnt, though other sources say that pomegranate was slang for immigrant. And finally some say it comes from the word pompous which is how the Aussies see us.

Basically no-one has a clue. That's 5 minutes I'll never get back.

OK, I'm off to play some Charlatans, R.I.P. Jon Brookes.

Laters

SS

Playlist Tuesday 13/08/13

The Mighty Ship - The Housemartins
Waterfront - Simple Minds
Everest - Public Service Broadcasting
Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You) - Flock Of Seagulls
(All I Wanted Was) Danger - The Milk
Ready To Die - Famous Villains
You And Your Ego - Hail To The Eskimo
Riders On The Storm - The Doors
Danger - The Likely Lads
Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
Basket Case - Green Day
I Lost Myself At Hello - Infirmity
True Faith - New Order
Safe European Home - The Clash
Rebound - Teenage Bottlerocket
What Do I Get? - The Buzzcocks
Lady Percy - King Charles
You Are The Everything - R.E.M.
Chipping Away - Middleman
Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana
Lucy The Castle - Twisted Wheel
Same Old Scene - Roxy Music
Giant Tortoise - Pond
You Held The World In Your Arms - Idlewild
Monkey Man - Toots And Maytals
Good Souls - Starsailor
Ripples - The Coopers
Take Me I'm Your's - Squeeze
Coming Around - The Vans
Homesick - Catfish And The Bottlemen
Back On The Chain Gang - The Pretenders
They Couldn't Hear The Music - Ian McNabb
This Is Real - The Enemy
The Song (We Go) - Ultravox
Roxette - Dr. Feelgood
You Little Thief - Feargal Sharkey
My Perfect Cousin - The Undertones
Lost Innocent World - Gogol Bordello
Adultery - Little Comets
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers




No comments:

Post a Comment