Thursday 15 August 2013

BAIBS Thursday 15/08/13

אַ גוטנ מאָרגן

Yiddish!! I know. Good morning Israel.

Who else we got?

¡buenos días for the Venezuelan.

Another shlog. Work tonight but gonna have an afternoon away from it all for a change. That's the plan anyway.

A pretty uneventful walk in to Sine FM Mansion this morning apart from braving the gaggle of window cleaners that take over St. Sepulchre Gate at that time of day. Is it a gaggle? Collective noun for window cleaners? Doesn't seem to be one. Maybe a Chamois of Window Cleaners. Or a I Couldn't Reach The Top Ones But That'll Be A Fiver Mate of Window Cleaners. I'm wary of window cleaners. Had a run in with some in my youth.

Hang on.

That was Jack Russells. Got chased by a Chamois of Jack Russells in my youth. That makes more sense.

Shopping again after the show. Out of my comfort zone looking for soya milk. How can spellcheck not know the word soya? Or the word spellcheck? Decided one of the big name supermarkets was my best bet and came across a common problem these days. The aisle leading to the milk blocked by a crowd of people all looking for the coke bottle with their name on it. I believe the collective noun there is sheep. I can't decide if it's a great marketing ploy or not. I did go into a shop last week for a bottle of coke and just picked one at random, as people always used to, only to find I was called Clarissa.

So I put it back. The marketing works then. Well not really 'cos I couldn't be arsed to search for a Simon bottle so just had a bottle of Pepsi. I was at Valley Parade, Bradford for the recent Rovers friendly and got a half time coke. I wasn't offered a choice of bottle. I was given Richard's. I can only presume that the lass behind the counter thought I looked like a Dick.

Winners of the Sine FM Do It Unplugged Competition Habberdash joined me on today's show for another quality session. They really are one of Donny's bright young things. They have a gig tomorrow night at The Woolpack. It was meant to be at The Hallcross but that has sadly shut it's doors again. This upsets me for so many reasons. I had a bash at running it up until this time last year and know just what a slog it is. Getting people through the door to see live music can be like pulling teeth at times but it's vital that the public support a live music scene no matter where it is. Putting reality TV to one side (PLEASE)! all bands started out in small venues. The toilet circuit as it's called. Without these venues where do bands play? Arctic Monkeys, U2, Coldplay, Nirvana, Queen etc etc didn't play their first gigs at Wembley Stadium! This is basically an impassioned plea to support local live music.

And on a more personal note The Hallcross was my spiritual home as a young Donny drinker!

Anyway, off for some me time.

Laters

SS

Playlist Thursday 15/08/13

The Mighty Ship - The Housemartins
Tick Tick Boom - The Hives
Fast Fuse - Kasabian
By Your Hand - Los Campesinos
What A Shame - The Strypes
Transmission - Joy Division
Cemetry - Bang Bang Romeo
Suicide Is Painless (Theme From M*A*S*H) - Manic Street Preachers
Shadow Boxer - The Bedroom Hour
Sometimes - James
Never Knew Your Name - Madness
Police And Thieves - The Clash
Lucy The Castle - Twisted Wheel
Lemon - U2
Antarctica - Sound Of Guns
The Rain - Red Jester
Teenage Icon - The Vaccines
White Wedding - Billy Idol
Viva Las Vegas - Elvis Presley
Ride - The Vines
Pump It Up - Elvis Costello And The Attractions
Carry on, Carry On - Edwyn Collins
Radio Nowhere - Bruce Springsteen
I Got You - Split Enz
Plug In Baby - Muse
America Blue - His Latest Flame
Design For Life - Manic Street Preachers

HABBERDASH LIVE ACOUSTIC SESSION

Candle
Crime Baby
Swear Jar

Uptown Top Ranking - Althea And Donna
The Woodpile - Frightened Rabbit
North South Divide - John Lennon McCullagh
Soul Uncensored - Section 60
Heavyweight Champion Of The World - Reverend And The Makers
Away From Here - The Enemy
Helpless - Middleman
Viva La Vida - Coldplay
Recovery - Frank Turner
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers

No comments:

Post a Comment