Tuesday 23 July 2013

BAIBS Tuesday 23/07/13

I'm proper multitasking here, knowing full well something will go amiss. Got a stack of emails to answer, a load of new music to sample, a blog to write, bacon to cook and a butterfly to worry about. Let's see how it goes.

I'm being hampered by a very slow laptop that has decided downloading music is an optional function that it's chosen to give a miss today.

So the rains have come. I still braved shorts this morning in the hope it would clear by ten. It's got monumentally worse. A definite bus journey home. Someone in their infinite wisdom has decided to change not only bus times but also the stands at the interchange that buses leave from. Obviously though they neglected to tell anyone. Of course because that's just what we'd expect them to do. Always keep 'em guessing is obviously South Yorkshire Transport's current policy. Someone gets paid stupid money for that decision.

I'm getting through my new music emails. Beady Eye in woeful new single shocker. Admit it Liam, you're nothing without him. Onto the 15 CDs I have to wade through now.

Laptop refusing to acknowledge the presence of a CD. It's going to be a long afternoon.

So a baby was born yesterday. A future king of England. Historic I agree but not worthy of the news saturation we got. For over 12 hours TV showed photographers taking photographs of other photographers because there was nothing else to do. Hoards flocked to the hospital and Buckingham Palace to, as one twonk said, 'witness the historic moment.' Er, I'm pretty certain that the actual giving birth bit was kept private. All you got to see was an easel with a hastily typed note on it. That's if you were at the front. If you weren't you may as well have watched it on the news. They had it pretty much covered. David Cameron came out and lied on my behalf again. Apparently this year I've both mourned a great leader and been excited by a royal baby. I know I have 'cos the shiny faced Eton toff said so. Is it coming across that I'm not a royalist? 'But they're good for tourism' is the standard defence. Prove it. 'They bring in so much money.' Prove it. Quick bit of maths.

Buckingham Palace - 420,000 visitors last year. Palace of Versailles - 5,000,000 visitors last year. Ah, but Buck House is only open 8 weeks a year. More maths. That equates to about 2,750,000 a year. Just over half the Versailles total and I'm pretty sure the French monarchy gave up residency sometime around 1789. Think my point is as much as the monarchy is of interest to tourists we don't actually need them to maintain this interest.

Are any of you lepidopterists? Last Friday, when the sun was beating down (ah sun.it already seems so long ago) two butterflies came dancing through the open back door. They fluttered around for a bit then I lost sight of them. One reappeared later that day clinging to the ceiling but is still there four days later. Is this usual behaviour? Is it asleep? Dead? In labour waiting for the press to turn up? I don't speak red admiral so can't communicate. I think it's a red admiral. I only know two types of butterfly and it's definitely not a cabbage white.

I've droned on enough. One final thing. I really should get a diary. I'm hosting the Rock4Youth MidTeenz event at The Dome on Friday and had arranged a meeting with organiser Annette Ramsay for tomorrow, only to be reminded this morning that I'm at the press launch for Leeds Festival tomorrow. Oh you caught me out. That last bit was just me showing off and nothing to do with a diary at all.

Right, this bacon wont cook itself.

Laters

SS

Playlist Tuesday 23/07/13

Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag - Pigbag
Everlong - Foo Fighters
Monkey Gone To Heaven - Pixies
The Fortune Teller - The 48ks
So Here We Are - Bloc Party
Losing Days - Frank Turner
Dream Factory - Section 60
Valerie - The Zutons
Rise - Public Image Ltd.
Under China - Auction For The Promise Club
Hands Off She's Mine - The Beat
Cosmic Dancer - T-Rex
Melody Calling - The Vaccines
Dreaming - Blondie
The Whole Of The Moon - The Waterboys
Help Me - Chantel McGregor
Sing - Travis
Itchycoo Park - The Small Faces
Your Love Alone Is Not Enough - Manic Street Preachers
Scar Tissue - Red Hot Chili Peppers
1996 - The Wombats
Tears Dry On Their Own - Amy Winehouse
Carnival - The Cardigans
Ball Of Confusion - The Temptations
Neighbourhood #3 - Arcade Fire
Back Down South - Kings Of Leon
Queen Of The Disco - Hail To The Eskimo
Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode
My My, Hey Hey - Neil Young
Friday Night - The Talks
White Lines - Grandmaster Melle Mel
My World - Secret Affair
Sweet Child Of Mine - Guns 'N' Roses
Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran
Tom Hark - The Piranhas
Inhaler - The Foals
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers




2 comments:

  1. You think your media is saturated?! We fought a war with you guys so we didn't have to care about the royal family anymore, but we've got three 24-hour news networks with panels of psychologists providing in-depth analysis of the type of "grounded upbringing" the little tike is going to have, and hence what kind of future world leader he will be, based on his mother's "middle-classed heritage." (Lots of sentences that start with, "I'm sure Kate and William would say ...") There was even a half-hour of analysis and history of Kate's mother, who will apparently feature very prominently in the kids life.

    Although, it's rare that our media ever spends time on a story that doesn't involve human suffering, the potential for human suffering, or how one of the political parties eats babies, so I suppose I should just let it play out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. -- As the typical butterfly lifespan is only a couple of days, up to a week at most, I'm guessing your butterfly friend has passed on. My condolences. Take solace in the fact that they usually die shortly after producing the next generation of caterpillar. Which is probably where the other one went.

    ReplyDelete