Saturday 22 December 2012

BAIBS Friday 21/12/12

Well as late blogs go this is right up there. Friday's blog at 10am on a Saturday morning but as I mentioned on Thursday, Friday was gonna be a busy day, Mablethorpe to be fed too much by the in-laws and not put lampshades up. Plus now we know the world's survived it's safe for me to carry on with this drivel knowing there's still a civilisation out there to blog at.

Saying that today is the last Saturday before Christmas so being a bloke I've decided to start my Christmas shopping in earnest today and I may not survive that. You all know my shopping tactics but also my inability to choose presents and I fear today is not a day to browse.

So Friday's show, seems so long ago now. Hang fire, a reminder's just gone off on my phone. Just says 'meat.' I've no idea! Throughout most shows I'm usually having twitter conversations with my friend Richard Pierce. These normally take a surreal turn. When it becomes a threeway (Richard's bad influence there again) it gets very surreal indeed. Yesterday became a chat with an author and an bookshop owner about fish and hats, possibly fish in hats. If my performance on the radio appears distracted at any point that is why!

Had the joy of The 48ks joining me on the show for a live session and a chat. Two things about these guys: When they're on fire there's few, if any, better in Donny and I think they're actually better than they give themselves credit for. They are immense fun (Steve's bad jokes aside) both on and off stage but sometimes need that kick up the arse to get them heading in the right direction.

I'm so glad they're a quality band though cos they're all mates and it's hard to tell your mate his music's crap! Singer Ryan has been a mate for getting on ten years now and I think I can finally tell him I thought Libawalks (the band he was in when we met) were awful. Thankfully I can now look him in the eye and truthfully say The 48ks are brilliant. So thanks for the session guys, sorry we had no tea Kato and I'll see you all Sunday.

Got a txt from my brother yesterday. This is a momentous event. We both have an aversion to phones, live miles apart and he doesn't do the social networking thing so txting is pretty much our only form of contact. I like txting, my brother less so, so txts are few and far between. I once txt him a question and got a reply two months later that just said, 'Yes, Hampshire.' I have no idea what I'd asked him. He also doesn't see txting as a proper conversation so just stops mid chat. To me txting is like talking to someone and if you're having a conversation you don't just walk off halfway through. So I'm expecting an answer to the question, 'Do you fancy a beer over Christmas?' sometime around March.

So the weekend. Managed to totally avoid Mad Friday. Good. I hate it, my least favourite day of the year when I worked in pubs. Today is Tom Hark day down at The Keepmoat, Rovers at home to MK Dons. Need a win to bounce back from the heavy defeat last week and hopefully me and Rob wont have any technical issues. Tonight I'm at The Garage for The Dirty Dancefloors Christmas bash. Really tight covers band and great fun. Just get writing some tunes Mr. Foster! The Cherry Blossom is at some swanky works do at the racecourse while I slum it.

Tomorrow is The 48ks Christmas gig at The Leopard with The Starkins, Jack's House and the frankly awesome Beast supporting. Oh and your's truly as the compare without compare. It's gonna be messy. Not too messy I hope, live radio Monday morning. Never good with a hangover.

OK, Christmas shopping. My heart's just sunk.

Laters

SS

Playlist Friday 21/12/12

Soul Man - Sam and Dave
Antarctica - Sound Of Guns
Mrs. Robinson - The Lemonheads
Ceremony - New Order
Never Fade Away - Spector
524 Fidelio - The Wedding Present
Truth Is - The Levellers
Roses In The Hospital - Manic Street Preachers
Shadow - Gringo Star

THE 48ks LIVE SESSION

It Cant Be Me
Feel About You

Fortune Teller - The 48ks
To Be Like - China Rats
Undercover Martyn - Two Door Cinema Club
(All I Wanted Was) Danger - The Milk
Altogether Now - The Farm
Smooth - New Killer Shoes
Take Her Back - The Pigeon Detectives
Chi Town - The Cribs
Heart Will Haunt - The Bedroom Hour
Stacy's Mom - Fountains Of Wayne
Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon - Urge Overkill
The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole
Two Princes - Spin Doctors
Another Love - Tom Odell
Fluorescent Adolescent - Arctic Monkeys
Police And Thieves - The Clash
Seven Seas - Echo and the Bunnymen
So Long And Thanks For all The Fish - Neil Hannon
Slumdog Millionaire - The Beeds
If I Ever Stray - Frank Turner
Why You So Cold - Wet Nuns
Genius Of Love - Tom Tom Club
Best Of Friends - Palma Violets
Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan
If You Wanna - The Vaccines
Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys
She Comes In Fall - Inspiral Carpets
Don't Go - Yazoo
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers

No comments:

Post a Comment