Tuesday 9 April 2013

BAIBS Tuesday 09/04/13

Well it's been a while since we did this. 11 days it would seem. I would have been on air and blogged yesterday but the 80 hour show really took it's toll. 18 hours sleep Thursday night, another 10 on Friday and still slept through both my alarms yesterday. And woke up this morning with a sod of a migraine which I'm blaming the big show for as well, hence the show starting an hour late.

In September 2011 myself and Mark Kelly completed a 72 hour radio show and both vowed never again. But with time dulling the memories of how hard it was and 2 radio stations just pipping the record foolish pride stepped up to the plate and told us to do it again. I can in all honesty say if someone beats the record again, even if just by a minute, I am NEVER doing that again. There's a reason sleep deprivation is used as a torture method. My body clock and appetite are still all over the place. Admittedly I didn't help myself by going out Saturday night but, hey, Famous Villains were in town. Can't miss that. Sadly after 3 pints I was very worse for wear and ended up invading the stage for a drunken singalong during 8 O'Clock Blues. Sorry chaps.

I thought my first blog back would be a highlights package of the Even Bigger Show but I can barely remember it. Someone at the weekend mentioned they loved the tunes we were playing Wednesday afternoon but neither me nor Mark can remember what we played or who was manning the desk. My lowest point started at about 4am on the Wednesday morning, 44 hours in, and I stayed in that trough for a good 6 hours. It is very hard to describe but I know every part of me was willing me to walk out and go to bed. The whole thing was peaks and troughs. Adrenaline gets you so far then it's all down to sheer bloody mindedness. Thankfully both me and Mark are stubborn buggers. I know speaking to Mark he remembers virtually nothing about the last 8 hours. He claims I kept him going. I don't remember. Mark certainly got me through my Wednesday morning dip but to do a record like this it has to be done with someone you trust, admire and most importantly get on well with. 80 hours cooped up with no sleep with the same person is a huge leap of faith, trust me, and for that I thank Mark with every aching sinew.

There are so many people to thank that I'm not even going to try and list them for fear of missing someone out. Just to everyone who supported us we could not, and would not, have done it without you. Simple as. I would like to make a special mention though to Sarah Gibson who stepped in as a last minute witness at midnight on the Tuesday when someone let us down. If she hadn't then it would all have been over then. And also to Darrin Snider from Fishers, Indiana. I have no idea how he stumbled upon us but he really got on board with what we were doing. He's involved with the internet radio station Indy In Tune and we ended up swapping local band tunes and much hands across the water banter. He also took us out to his local bar for open mic night, via his tablet. It really did keep us going through the long dark soul searching graveyard shifts.



King Charles nipped in for the briefest of chats on today's show prior to his gig at The Leopard tonight. Enigmatic is the word that springs to mind. And talented. I shall be nipping down after my Tom Hark duties down at The Keepmoat. Rovers home to Carlisle and hopefully another step closer to promotion.

Well I think I've gushed enough. We'll talk politics tomorrow!

Laters

SS

Playlist Tuesday 09/04/13

Tom Hark - The Piranhas
Underdog - Kasabian
The Way We're Made (Made In England) - Missing Andy
Blue - Fine Young Cannibals
The 8 O' Clock Blues - Famous Villains
It's Alright, It's OK - Primal Scream
Ripple - The Coopers
Where Is My Mind? - Pixies
Hush - Kula Shaker
Some Might Say - Oasis
Pure Morning - Placebo
When The Sun Goes Down - Arctic Monkeys
Smooth - New Killer Shoes
Spinning Plates - Missing Andy
Johnny Too Bad - UB40
Seven Seas - Echo And The Bunnymen
Diane Young - Vampire Weekend
Elysium - Section 60
Incommunicado - Marillion
Take Her Back - The Pigeon Detectives
She Said - The Longpigs
Storm - Django Django
It Starts And Ends With You - Suede
Love Lust - King Charles
Lady Percy - King Charles
Everyday Is Like Sunday - Morrissey
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers


No comments:

Post a Comment