Monday 22 April 2013

BAIBS Monday 22/04/13

So should we go with Stevie Wonder, 'Happy birthday to you,' Altered Images, 'Happy birthday, happy birthday,' The Beatles, 'They say it's your birthday,' or The Sugarcubes, 'Keeps spiders in her pocket, collects fly's wings in a jar.' Actually forget The Sugarcubes one. Whilst being by far the best song on that little list, and despite being called Birthday, it's meaning is hardly one of joyous celebration.

But yes it is my birthday. 45. And I'm hating it. It's not the getting older thing. That's never bothered me. It's the odd number thing. I can't explain it but I really don't like odd numbers. I was fine being 44 and I loved being 42 with all the Douglas Adams Hitch-hikers stuff that goes with it, but 41 and 43 I didn't enjoy at all. I might just skip straight to 46.

Another weekend has passed in pretty much a blur. Friday found me ligging with King Charles  at his Cockpit gig in Leeds. There's no other word for it. It was blatant ligging. Walking round with the nonchalant air that a guest list gives you then casually chatting with the band back stage while the mere mortals crammed for a peek in the dressing room. I have no shame. King Charles proved again just how talented he and his band are. And he had no objection to me helping myself to his beer, pitta bread and leerdammer as we chatted after the gig. Not that there was much left after Steve Ellis got at it. In my defence I did buy a cd. The gig ended with the greatest stage invasion I've ever seen. I may have joined in had I not been pushing 45.

Saturday found the Tom Hark button unused again as Rovers failed to do the necessary against Notts County. It was one of those games. They had one shot and scored an absolute stunner. Rovers had all manner of shots blocked and deflected. If we were still playing now we'd probably still be 1-0 down. A win would have seen Rovers promoted but we now need to go to 3rd placed Brentford next Saturday and secure at least a draw. Think I'm just gonna lock myself away come 3pm next Saturday.

OK I'm off to see what damage 45 candles can do.

Laters

SS

Playlist Monday 22/04/13

Tom Hark - The Piranhas
Wrecking Ball - Bruce Springsteen
Rat Trap - The Boomtown Rats
Heavyweight Champion Of The World - Reverend And The Makers
This Song - The Enemy
I Touch Myself - The Divinyls
Ready To Die - Famous Villains
Mardy Bum - Arctic Monkeys
A Girl Like You - Edwyn Collins
High - Bengal Stripes
Never Knew Your Name - Madness
The Woodpile - Frightened Rabbit
Bats - The Darlingtons
Dakota - Stereophonics
Souls Uncensored - Section 60
Bring On The Dancing Horses - Echo And The Bunnymen
I Wanna Be Adored - The Stone Roses
Pelican - Maccabees
Recovery - Frank Turner
Dancing Makes Her Happy - Jery At Controls
Born Slippy - Underworld
Nothing Our Way - Frankie And The Heartstrings
It Can't Be Me - The 48ks
You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover - The Strypes
Safe European Home - The Clash
Learn To Fly - Foo Fighters
Waterfront - Simple Minds
Bittersweet - New Model Army
Love In Outer Space - Hail To The Eskimo
See Through - Auction For The Promise Club
North Country Boy - The Charlatans
She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult
Ripple - The Coopers
Mary's Place - Bruce Springsteen
The Caterpillar - The Cure
On The Pull - Straight Razor Angels
Diane Young - Vampire Weekend
Take Her Back - The Pigeon Detectives
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers

No comments:

Post a Comment