Tuesday 26 February 2013

BAIBS Tuesday 26/02/13

The Bulgars and Egyptians have joined the club. Can feel the phrase worldwide phenomenon coming on, and no Mark, I still can't say it.

You know have words you just can't say? Phenomenon's one of mine. As well as lapels bizarrely.

Anyway.

Clocks.

You're either now thinking Coldplay, Salvador Dali, timepieces or you just misread and thought I was talking about Muse again. Speaking of Muse, Matt Bellamy's said he'll be stage diving on Muse's tour this summer. As far as I'm aware it's all stadium gigs and I don't know many stadiums where the band and crowd are that close. Still if Matt wants to dive into an empty pit in front of 80,000 people I for one think he should be allowed. No doubt he'll record the bone crunching splat and use it on Muse's next album. I once read that Meat Loaf stage dived at a gig in Sydney and the crowd, somewhat sensibly, got out of his way.

For all the gigs I've been too I've not seen many stage dives. The guy from Enter Shikari dived into the crowd at Leeds Fest but sadly they let him back on stage to finish the set. I once saw Courtney Love stage dive at The Leadmill then bemoaned the fact that she remained fully clothed and ungroped afterwards.  Obviously no mirrors in the Leadmill dressing room. Speaking of naked I saw Iggy Pop at Rock City strip and stage dive. Yes, I've had a naked Jimmy Osterberg flying at me as I stood shocked and open mouthed. That last sentence was a bit of a mouthful. The most laid back, stage dive, literally, I've witnessed was Peter Gabriel who just stood on the edge of the stage, back to the crowd, arms outstretched and fell back. He was then very politely passed round the crowd for about 5 minutes. He smelt of tofu.

Got a bit sidetracked there. Was gonna talk about time keeping and the lack of clocks in Donny. I leave the house at about 6am. Gives me plenty of time to get to Sine FM Towers and set up for the show. Sometimes, normally after a night out, I'll be running late though and occasionally when this happens I'll selflessly let Cherry Blossom sleep and yomp into town. To be honest, very occasionally. But not one shop down Balby Road has a clock in view from the street. I have no idea how late I'm running. Get to The Leopard but can never quite get a view of the station clock. The first clock I see is on Trafford Way which tells a different time every time I see it. It is ALWAYS wrong, normally by a good few hours. The only accurate thing you can say about this clock is that whatever time it is showing it can be guaranteed that is not the correct time. So the first reliable clock I see is clock corner by which time I'm that close to Sine that it makes no difference.

Wear a watch I hear you say. I packed in wearing a watch many, many years ago. I used to claim it gave me more freedom and didn't tie me down, man. Truth be told I just preferred wearing scarves round my wrist and was always late. Of course these days with mobile phones there's no real need for clocks or a watch but what with the flusk and my bag and the general coldness at that time of day I never get my phone out of my pocket. Plus it never occurs to me!

Anyway, must dash. I've just seen the time.

Laters

SS

Playlist Tuesday 26/02/13

Tom Hark - The Piranhas
Girl From Mars - Ash
I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones
End Of A Century - Blur
The Prince - Madness
Never Knew Your Name - Madness
Lead The Way - The 48ks
Slight Return - The Bluetones
Stay - Rita Payne
Never Fade Away - Spector
Bones - Bang Bang Romeo
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles
My Sweet Lord - George Harrison
If The Kids Are United - Sham 69
Next Year - Two Door Cinema Club
Kings Of The Wild Frontier - Adam And The Ants
Here It Goes Again - OK Go
Thunderstruck - AC/DC
Lining Your Pockets - Ocean Colour Scene
No Songs Tomorrow - UV Pop
Upstarts - Johnny Marr
Stingin' Belle - Biffy Clyro
Like A Fox - Me
Somewhere - The Pilots
Alternative Ulster - Stiff Little Fingers
Do You Remember The First Time? - Pulp
Recover - Dexters
Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
Waterfront - Simple Minds
Permanent - Section 60
Love Like Blood - Killing Joke
Everything - The Darlingtons
It Starts And Ends With You - Suede
Just Came Back - AVIT
Crocodile Rock - Elton John
Teenage Icon - The Vaccines
Lost - The Pigeon Detectives
Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
The Wanderer - U2/Johnny Cash
The Passenger - Iggy Pop
Chemicals - Various Cruelties
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers


No comments:

Post a Comment