Monday 11 February 2013

BAIBS Monday 11/02/13

Suddenly got a lot of Russian readers. Maybe I should see if BAIBS means something in Russian. Something to do with tractors possibly.

As we know I'm a proud pedestrian. Admittedly circumstances rather than choice dictate my pedestrian status but still, I'm sticking with the proud pedestrian tag. We're a special breed. No government pavement code for us. No Pedestrian Proficiency Test. We are the anarchists of the getting from A to B world. Check out Anarchy In The UK - 'I give the wrong time, stop a traffic line.' Pure pedestrianism at it's best.

Quick footnote here. The worst live musical experience I ever had involved Anarchy In The UK.

 Mel B/C*

*delete as applicable, which ever one is the loud scouse one. Her. That's who I'm on about.

was the special surprise guest at V99 . She did a woeful version of Anarchy which included the line, 'I am the anti-christ. I am a sporty spice.' I kid you not.

Anyway, I digress. As I've talked about before the perfect pedestrian world is become increasingly infiltrated by the cyclist. More and more have taken to the pavements. No consultation with pedestrians first. It's an aggressive takeover bid. There's a narrow bit of pavement on Balby Road, just wide enough for 2 people to pass. Walking down there this morning and a woman with a double pushchair was coming the other way. I leaned against a wall to let her pass. She gave the standard apologetic, grateful smile, as is the unwritten pedestrian code, only for a cyclist to come charging from behind me screaming, 'Coming through.' He wasn't because there wasn't enough space for which he blamed the woman with the pushchair. A bit of a Mexican stand off took place before he realized all he could do was wheel his bike backwards til the path widened, cursing all the time.

Now I've tried cycling on the road and it's treacherous but it doesn't give cyclists the right to invade our paths and make walking treacherous too. More cycle lanes is the answer. I'll put it to our English Democrat mayor. SORRY, he's independent now. I'd forgot. Yes too many BNP joining the English Democrats for his liking. Didn't seem to mind when it would appear it was the BNP second vote that got him elected. There's an election due. Purely coincidence that he's left what is basically the BNP Light Party I'm sure. The word loathsome is wheeling round my head.

Now that's what I call a tangent.

So a mixed weekend. Rovers again failed to take advantage of other teams slipping up. On Saturday we looked scared to actually go top. Try again tomorrow night. Have to say League One is a poor division this season. No-one seemed to mind no goal music. Good. As I've said before we have a major problem if Rovers' fans need to be told when to celebrate.

Excellent gig Saturday night at The Flying Childers. Sine FM's Pete Liversidge's new covers bans No Folkin' Around were playing. Possibly the most diverse band I've seen with covers ranging from The Everley Brothers to the Foo Fighters and every genre and era in between, all with an acoustic, folky bent. Well worth checking out. They could tie-up the club scene quite nicely.

Ably supported by Donny legend Beast and the ridiculously talented James Taplin it was a good night all round.

Well 1 week, 1 day and 4 hours without a cigarette. I'm on 60 carrot sticks a day though.

Laters

SS

Playlist Monday 11/02/13

Tom Hark - The Piranhas
Never Fade Away - Spector
Love Her Madly - The Doors
Love Train - The O'Jays
Semi Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind
Second, Minute, Hour - Jack Penate
Iris - Goo Goo Dolls
My Hero - Foo Fighters
Somewhere - The Pilots
This Is Real - The Enemy
It's Yer Money I'm After Baby - The Wonderstuff
Hey There Delilah - Plain White Ts
Transmission - Joy Division
A Girl Like You - Edwyn Collins
Dancing Makes Her Happy - Jery At Controls
Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
Tempted - Squeeze
My Number - Foals
North Country Boy - The Charlatans
Enola Gay - OMD
Talk Of The Town - The Pretenders
Don't Know Why - The Beeds
Mr. Brightside - The Killers
Fortune Teller - The 48ks
Psycho Killer - Talking Heads
You Jane - The Wedding Present
To Be Like - China Rats
Give It Up - KC And The Sunshine Band
Shoot The Runner - Kasabian
Smooth - New Killer Shoes
Rebel Rebel - David Bowie
Next Year - Two Door Cinema Club
Tommy Gun - The Clash
On My Radio - The Selecter
Pictures Of You - The Cure
Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
Another Girl Another Planet - The Only Ones
All Day And All The Night - The Kinks
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers






No comments:

Post a Comment