Friday 8 February 2013

BAIBS Friday 08/02/13

Add Peru and Kazakhstan to the list.

First blog in a while. I've been ill. This not smoking lark is killing me! As someone pointed out though being ill doesn't stop me blogging. But the blog was always meant to be linked to the radio show. The main reason I started was because of people asking ,me what a certain song I played was. I never know. I play a lot of songs and rarely remember what I've played. They do all get written down for PRS purposes but I've seen my writing. It's shocking. I can make no sense of it at all. So this blog is inherently linked with the radio show: No show, no blog.

There's also the fact that most of my blogs are just observational stuff so given I've done little for the last three days the blogs wouldn't amount to much. 'Laid on sofa and watched a Big Bang Theory I've only seen four times. Had a scotch egg. Regretted it.' You see my point.

Plus like I said. I've been ill. There's certain things from the last three days you just don't want to know about.

Back to the gym today and had a reminder what I dislike about gyms. I don't dislike exercise but I've always preferred playing sports. I'll happily spend an hour in the gym with some good tunes though. (12 Dirty Bullets work particularly well). Today was excellent. It was full of fat and/or old people. I fitted in nicely. Apart from one, I believe the term is, gym bunny. When I walked in the changing room he was there, weighing out his protein shake thing. He'd actually bought scales. Did a big show of mixing it up with his little cocktail type shaker, lots of flexing, all in front of the mirror. Now I know I can be obsessive (music, football, cricket, maps! - show me a good stat and you've lost me for days) so I shouldn't mock him for taking what he does seriously. But I'm gonna. Purely for this next bit.

Two of the most astounding sentences ever. First he looked at a rather large gentleman getting changed and, without leaving his beloved mirror once, said to me, 'Look at the state of that.' I was horrified. Maybe he should join a gym I replied. It was hugely gratifying that he agreed with me then did the classic comedic penny dropping face. His reaction to this: 'They shouldn't let fat people in the gym.' Priceless. I left him kissing his muscles. They seemed very happy together.

So a busy weekend beckons. Sheffield tonight to see the brilliant Section 60. A truly quality indie band. I'm hoping tonight I'll see one of them smile on stage.

Tomorrow is, what I'm gonna call. a no Tom Harking Tom Harking day. Rovers at home to Walsall but as mentioned in a previous blog we're not doing goal music anymore. Good. I'll let you know how that works out.

Saturday night is The Flying Childers (I had the flying childers once. Winter of '84. Very nasty) to see my mate Pete Liversidge's new band, No Folkin' Around, supported by the immensely talented James Taplin and the irrepressible Beast. Should be a good un.

Enough. Time for a carrot stick.

Laters

SS

Playlist Friday 08/02/13

Tom Hark - The Piranhas
Baby Don't Cry - INXS
I Always Knew - The Vaccines
Ceremony - New Order
The Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Song - The Flaming Lips
Made Of Stone - The Stone Roses
Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
Elysium - Section 60
New Natives - Jim Lockey And The Solemn Sun
Lose Control - Courteeners
Fortune Teller - The 48ks
Naive - The Kooks
Silver - Echo And The Bunnymen
She Comes In Fall - Inspiral Carpets
Upstarts - Johnny Marr
Fluorescent Adolescent - Arctic Monkeys
Shot By Both Sides - Magazine
Rock Lobster - The B52s
Stingin' Belle - Biffy Clyro
Can't Stand Losing You - The Police
Hold The Magic - Officer Kicks
Animal - The Pigeon Detectives 
Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant
A Heart That You Can Borrow - Ian McNabb
Heroes - David Bowie
Chevy Thunder - Spector
That's Entertainment - The Jam
Tumblin' Tears - Kiziah And The Kings
Alright - The Subways
A-Punk - Vampire Weekend
Skinhead Moonstomp - Syrammip
Local Boy In The Photograph - Stereophonics
Runaway - Del Shannon
(White Man In) Hammersmith Palais - The Clash
Beat The Clock - Sparks
Jack And Diane - John Mellencamp
Undercover Martyn - Two Door Cinema Club
Place Your Hands - Reef
Panic - The Smiths
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers






No comments:

Post a Comment