Saturday 16 February 2013

BAIBS Friday 15/02/13

Another late blog. Had a day out yesterday and, well to be honest, couldn't be arsed to blog when we got in. More of that later.

New readers in Peru and the Isle Of Man. (Is that you Miss Smith)? Oh and Sint-Maarten. I had to google that one. It's the Dutch half of the Caribbean Island Saint Martin. Whoever you are if you want to invite me over please do cos it looks like this:


So ended up on The Road To Hull yesterday. Hull's an odd place. I had the, I'm gonna use the word pleasure, of living there from 1996 to 1998. The city centre's beautiful and it's a great night out. Sunday nights in the old town are some of the best nights out I've ever had. It's when you get out of the centre it all gets a bit odd. The less said the better probably. As one local said to me 'We're at the end of a line that no-one comes down,'

Hull has a lot to be proud of. Stood up to Charles I when he wanted to enter the city and was a major parliamentarian player in the civil war. Home of MP William Wilberforce who played a key role in the abolition of the slave trade. And birthplace of the legendary Mick Ronson - guitarist with the Spiders From Mars. A guy who worked with virtually everyone worth mentioning in the 70s and 80s. When I lived in Hull it staggered me how many locals knew none of these facts. Apart from white phone boxes and The Beautiful South they didn't seem to know much about their own city. There was briefly a Mick Ronson Memorial Stage in Queen's Gardens which not many knew about and now isn't there! Was horrified yesterday when I couldn't find it.

But it occurred to me as I gave Cherry Blossom a brief historical tour of Hull yesterday that people just don't seem to know the history of their home town? I'm probably as guilty as anyone when it comes to the history of Donny. Racecourse, Mallard, Flying Scotsman etc, Keegan, pits, Mansion House but that's all I really know about. My mission this year is to learn more about my town. I think everyone should. Admittedly if it turns out that the Racecourse, Mallard etc is all we've got I'm gonna be very disappointed!

Went to The Deep yesterday and stared at fish as they stared back. Got the impression that all the other fish were talking about the swordfish behind his back. 'Look at him with that thing. Thinks he looks hard as but he just looks a twonk. And he can't drink without using a straw.' And I spent far too long looking for a slug.

So it's the weekend. Epworth tonight for my good friend Steve Dale's birthday. Steve's the guitarist in The 48ks and arguably the best lead guitar in Donny. He just needs to realise that. I'm not gonna tell him though.

Not not Tom Harking this weekend. Rovers away at Crawley on Monday night. Live on Sky. Rovers who have come so close to topping the table could be fourth come kick off on Monday. (Would have been fifth but Tranmere lost again last night). Again on Tuesday night Rovers were briefly top only for us to fail to beat MK Dons and see Bournemouth leapfrog both us and Tranmere to go top. It's a tight division. 4 points separate the top 7 teams.

Gotta go cos some bugger keeps drinking my coffee. I think it's me.

Laters

SS

Playlist Friday 15/02/13

Tom Hark - The Piranhas
Across 110th Street - Bobby Womack
Post Break Up Sex - The Vaccines
The KKK Took My Baby Away - The Ramones
Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order
Somewhere - The Pilots
Like A Fox - Me
Babooshka - Kate Bush
Market Square Heroes - Marilllion
Enola Gay - OMD (for Steve 'Interesting' Keld)
Feel About You - The 48ks
Front Row - The Fallows
All Together Now - The Farm
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - The Smiths
How It Ended - The Drums
Underdog - Kasabian
Adore Me Dear - Bang Bang Romeo
Recover - Dexters
Here Comes Your Man - Pixies
It Doesn't Have To Be This Way - The Blow Monkeys
The Changingman - Paul Weller
Victims - Culture Club
Talking Woman Blues - Avit
Hold Me - Tom Odell
Men's Needs - The Cribs
Stay - Rita Payne
Johnny Too Bad - UB40
Paint It Black - The Rolling Stones
We Know Who U R - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds
Smooth - New Killer Shoes
The Doors Of Then - Tim Burgess
The Caterpillar - The Cure
It Starts And Ends With You - Suede
The Distance - Funeral For A Friend
Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks
45 - The Gaslight Anthem
London Calling - The Clash
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers
Elysium - Section 60 (for Patricia Saynor)






No comments:

Post a Comment