Monday 7 July 2014

Say, Mr. Onions!

So I'm starting this Monday afternoon having just posted the previous blog. And why not. Expect more kitchen shenanigans, bongo playing, auction bidding, pie eating, shirt buying, furniture removal, a wedding and Scrabble of course.

Monday 30/06/14

Today's mess in the kitchen is mushroom soup. I'll let you know the results later. Obviously it being Monday Julie's at work all day. Still not better but two days without painkillers now and yet more shoulder action. Don't know what I'm gonna do when she's all better. I'll have to find something else to occupy my time. Maybe open a shop or something. 

I mentioned t'other week Julie has a new tablet/nexus type thing. Unfortunately the autocorrect gets carried away sometimes. The following just happened on Facebook:

Me: or you can have the soup I've made.

Julie: Is it Muslim

Julie: Mushroom
  
Muslim Soup. I just don't know where to go with that one.

The soup was a resounding success (no Muslims were harmed in the making of said soup) as was the Scrabble that followed. Possibly down to the soup but Julie got all kinds of giddy and experimental. Had the words ZE, RAPIDE, IR and PARADINE existed than she'd have won. As it was my 'cheaty' word CHELPS (DO NOT CHECK THE URBAN DICTIONARY DEFINITION!! I was going with the northern dialect for annoying chattering definition) helped me win. 35-12.

Tuesday 01/07/14

Back to my flat for washing duties and to ask the bank what they've done with my rent then straight back to Julie's to get the washing hung out. Job done and off to Alistair's to re-record the bongos we did the other week. They sounded flat last time. It was a stool's fault. Guitar stand and gaffa tape fixed that. Trust us. We were joined by David Bailey who was there to record some backing vocals and took on the role of tea-boy while I bongoed and Alistair did technical stuff. It was basically DB's way of putting himself forward for a job at the record shop, demonstrating his coffee making skills. Very good his skills are too.

Recording successfully done, Julie picked me up to go have dinner at her parents. So nice to have a break from the kitchen! Overdosed on veggie burgers and salad and managed to avoid the raspberries. Julie's Mum became the 3rd female member of her family to suggest force feeding me raspberries to see me turn purple. Chilled on the sofa while Julie killed whales by poking herself in the eye. 

Honest. 

Maybe you had to be there. 

Wednesday 02/07/14

Auction day. I had agreed to go eat pie. Andy Milner at the Yorkshire Pie House was having a bit of a photo shoot for his pies with Julie's daughter, Lorna, doing the snapping. I was supposed to go along and help dispose of the models. I'd forgot about the auction though and was tied to my laptop in my little makeshift office (table) at Cask Corner. I texted my apologies and Andy kindly fetched me pie. 

My laptop and/or the internet decided to have an incident just as the vinyl lots came up. Wouldn't accept my bids on the records I wanted then finally recognised my bid on the following lot so god know's what I've bought. If I believed I'd ask him. As it is I'll just have to wait till I pick up my purchases. I know I did buy Julie a bike and a washing machine and I got a sextant and a lumiscope mercurial sphygmomanometer. 

I've no idea either.

Nipped into town for a new shirt and tie for JJ's wedding celebrations this coming Saturday. Really wanted a nice little pink number. I say little. I couldn't get one in my size 'cos I'm far from little. I think I ended up with plum. Or purple if I stop being pretentious. The shoes I coveted were definitely plum. It said so on the box. Sadly again manufacturers refuse to believe people my size exist. I'm gonna get em online though. Hopefully for Saturday. They're gorgeous. 

Comedy Club at Cask tonight but generally claminess and tiredness left me wanting a quiet night in so I headed home for a shower and ended up bidding on a sideboard on ebay. It'll fit in nicely with my idea of a 1950s living room feel for the shop. Actually I've not bidded yet. It's got half hour left and no bids. I may haggle. Offer him a free gourd or something. 

The offer of a plant from the cucurbitaceae family didn't work so we went with cold, hard cash instead. I now own an 8' oak sideboard to put my lumiscope mercurial sphygmomanometer on.  

A tired Julie was home for ten which gave me another chance to add to my Scrabble wins. Hard fought all the way but we're now at 35-13.

Thursday 03/07/14

Julie's day off so of course she took her injury to work again before heading off for more bone crunching with her chiropractor. I spent the morning ordering shoes and making phone calls. Those who know me will know what a big thing that is. I hate talking on the phone. It's almost a phobia. I just find phone's a necessary evil. If you were having a conversation and someone butted in saying, 'TALK TO ME, TALK TO ME, TALK TO ME!!!!' you'd tell them were to go, but phones get away with it. Anyway,  lumiscope mercurial sphygmomanometer paid for, van sorted out for Monday, shopfitter hopefully sorted for quoting duties on Tuesday and hospital appointment confirmed for early Monday morning.

Shopped for lunch/dinner/tea, whatever your preference is. Today's disaster will be salmon. Sat down to listen to this weeks new music sent to me by the pluggers. Electronic is definitely making a comeback but nothing caught my ear. I have nothing against the genre when done well (Kraftwerk, Yazoo, Human League, Visage, Erasure etc) but, again, someone needs to stop and tell bands when something just isn't good enough. I say that but I never do it. I'm a coward but just so any musicians I know are wondering if I ever say to you, 'It's different,' 'I can see what you're trying to do,' or 'It's not my kinda thing,' then it's my spineless way of saying I didn't like it.  

Can I just take a moment to say dobrý večer to the lone Slovak reading this.

Julie got home with strict instructions to take it easy. (Right now she's making a cake. I'm gonna turn a blind eye. It's cake). The salmon was an unmitigated success. Fish is brain food. Obviously Julie benefited far better than me. She won afternoon Scrabble by 67 points. 36-13.

The remainder of the afternoon was spent chilling, psyching myself up for round two and evening Scrabble. Job done. 36-14.

Friday 04/07/14

First up, happy getting rid of the colonial jackboot day to Darrin and Jack. And any other citizens of the U.S. of A. for that matter.

The day started with the shoes arriving. These are they:


They're currently sat in my flat with half a potato in each next to the already ironed plum/purple shirt. Bit organised for me.

Next up was getting online to get tickets to see The Who. I touched on when is a band not a band in a previous blog. Obviously Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend are the only surviving members. Is it still The Who? Some bands have replaceable members. My favourite band, The Waterboys, have had countless line up changes (49 different members according to wikipedia) but as long as Mike Scott's at the helm it will always be The Waterboys (although I'd feel a tad uncomfortable with any other sax player then Anto Thistlethwaite or fiddle player other than Steve 'The Wick' Wickham). With The Who though I struggle. Even though I still loved the stuff with Kenny Jones on drums after Moon The Loon had left us I wasn't happy with it still being The Who. Now The Ox is playing bass for that house band in the sky I'm even less comfortable with it. I have no qualms with seeing Daltrey and Townshend live. I can't wait. Just not sure it should be under The Who banner.

I digress.

MapFest meeting in the afternoon with nothing new to report really except things are progressing nicely followed by coffee with my daughter George with reports of her first non-family holiday in Portugal. She bought me a necklace with a baby shark's tooth on it, presumably for eating baby sharks.

Straight up to Cask after that to pick up the very gorgeous Julie and head up to Cast for the launch of issue 2 of Doncopolitan.



Only had a brief glimpse but I would say it's even better than issue 1. Excellent work by everyone involved.

Friday night saw me having a steady night out with Rob Dannatt and assorted friends. The alarm was set for 7am Saturday morning to help Alistair move house so I distinctly said to Rob we were having a quiet one. Then proceeded to the bar to buy a bottle of mead. Ah, that elusive quite night out. Invented some pretty spectacular dance moves with Rob and James Miller at Cask while Rock To Art and Smiling Ivy put on (think of another word apart from stunning or awesome), er, stawesoming sets. The dancing carried on at Woolpack and RockBar before I decided that sleep really would be the sensible option.

Saturday 05/07/14

The 7 o clock alarm was a joy! Alistair turned up in a very scary van to take my hangover for toast and coffee before we battled with his furniture. First thing was the big sofa. Our ineptitude was staggering but on the 6th attempt we got it through the door. Plain sailing after that. I bailed mid afternoon having got the first load, erm, unloaded at the Pearson/Thompson new gaff. I had to get back to remove potatoes from my shoes.

Regent Hotel Saturday night for the wedding celebrations of my good friends Jonathan and Rosie Jones. (JJ does The First 45 on Sine as I'm sure you know). Due to Julie's still damaged shoulder we were a tad late. Due to Julie's girly shoes we were a tad later still and got there just as the band finished. Thankfully, and I think as a favour to me, The Coopers did a second set. A lovely chilled night and the potatoes worked.

Sunday 06/07/14

Nice lazy start to the day before I headed to the shop for Muslim soup ingredients. We liked it that much I did it all again. Less mess and more confidence this time. Afternoon Scrabble began before tiredness hit us both and we went for an afternoon nap. I was losing by about 60 points at this stage. Got up in time for The Other Way. Very relaxed show with no guests, Julie joined me about half way through having finally woken up. 

Back to the Scrabble, having once again pointed at Polish food, and my fightback began. WAXED on a triple word and had EW been allowed I may have won. I had to miss a go. AXED on the triple word then and I was back in the game only to eventually lose by 3 points. 37-14.

Round two and the biggest trouncing yet.  DELICATE and SMOKING did for me. Was in the game briefly but eventually lost by 214 points!!!!! 38-14.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Laters

The Other Way Play List Sunday 06/07/14


The Other Way - Polkadodge
She Comes In Fall - Inspiral Carpets
Roxanne - The Police
Hotel Room - Richard Hawley
I Could Be A King - The Dunwells
Minute Mile - The Rifles
2-4-6-8 Motorway - Tom Robinson Band
Songs Of Joy - Rock To Art
It's Alright, It's OK - Primal Scream
Recurring Dream - Tankus The Henge
High - The Cure
Tequila - Terrorvision
Going Back Home - Roger Daltrey and Wilko Johnson
Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
Get Hurt - The Gaslight Anthem
Borderline - Polkadodge
Dancing Song - Little Comets
Walk Away Renee - Billy Bragg
Teenage Rampage - The Sweet
Could Have Been Me - The Struts
Suzy - Rita Payne
If I Had A Million Dollars - Barenaked Ladies
Ever Fallen In Love - Buzzcocks
Juxtaposed With You - Super Furry Animals
99 Luftballons - Nena
Suffering You Suffering Me - Slow Club
Pirouette - Puppet Rebellion
Georgia On My Mind - Ray Charles
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers












 

No comments:

Post a Comment