Monday 14 July 2014

Any Sin Rooms?

This week there should be hospitals, jam jars, shopfitters, white vans, sideboards, Leeds and, oh go on then, more Scrabble.

Let's see what happens.

Monday 07/07/14

First up, Happy Birthday to my big brother. 50 Niall! FIFTY!!!!!!

The day started with yet another early alarm and urinating into a jam jar. 

No reason. 

It's just what I do.

Actually I had an ECG appointment for the heart murmur I mentioned many moons ago. Why they needed a sample I've no idea. Anyway, had stickers and wires attached to me and got ecged. The consultant then asked me various questions, used the word abnormal and asked me to come back in the afternoon for an ultrasound scan.

The word woosh is figuring more and more. My doctor used it when he first heard the murmur, the consultant used it this morning and then the person who's job it was to rub gel on my chest and poke me with a sonic device used it too. I got to see my heart. Apparently. Looked like a pulsating potato to me. And I got to hear it. Woosh is definitely an appropriate word. There was the traditional dum-dum noise you'd expect from a heart but a definite woosh as well which I'm led to believe isn't the norm.

The lady in charge of the sonic thingy was training someone up so I also got to hear the words 'So what else do we look for when someone has this condition'. Now that is a worry. Especially as I can't remember the name of the condition that I overheard but it was long and very medical.

On the plus side they let me go and said I should hear from the consultant in a couple of weeks so it cant be too urgent. 

Got a bit lost leaving the hospital and nearly ended up in the morgue. Think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself there. 

Went to sit in Grove Park to look at trees till Julie picked me up to take me home for Scrabble and salad. 

Was meant to be picking up the lumiscope mercurial sphygmomanometer and other assorted items today but obviously with all the heart monitoring and tree hugging that's been postponed. Wednesday is now pencilled in for that.

Home for two very close games of Scrabble. I lost the first by 3 points, won the second by 9. 39-15.

Tuesday 08/07/14

Another meeting in the Waterdale today with shopfitters and tape measures. I now need to sort the layout for my shop. The only problem is I'm hopeless. Design No. 1 went on Facebook. This is design No. 2:




Nipped back to my flat to check on the post situation and to pick up a stupid present I'd got for Julie. She's been a bit fed up recently 'cos of her shoulder so I bought her a sandal on a lead.



He's called Sidney.

The evening again found us at Julie's parents for dinner and to all have a go at sticking our tongues out at Julie's Nexus. It's the only way to unlock it.

Wednesday 09/07/14


White van day with my friend Gary, the man behind the Yorkshire Real Ale business. Off to Ossett to collect more vinyl and CDs, some chairs, a couple of framed maps, a standard lamp, a sextant, a bike, a washing machine, an old radio, a magazine rack, a Christmas tree and the lumiscope mercurial sphygmomanometer. Then off to Harworth to pick up the 8' oak sideboard. It's a thing of beauty, proper craftsmanship and it weighs a bastard ton (like a metric tonne but heavier). Finally got it loaded and headed back to Julie's, failing to save a pigeon on the way. 

It was just stood in the road and refused to move. We did a u-turn to go and try and persuade it to hop/walk/fly on to the grass verge only to find it was no longer stood in the road. It had spread out a bit. Not pretty. 

Enlisted the help of Ian to unload the sideboard which is now nestled in a neighbour's garage. Everything else is in Julie's overcrowded dining room. 

Started on the vinyl cataloguing again. First box and a couple of original gems unearthed, The Animals first album and a Motown compilation from 1966. Cataloguing was abandoned after one box for Scrabble. We stopped mid game to pop to the open mic night at Cask. A lovely chilled night with Julie, again, giving it her all on the banjolelle before heading home to finish Scrabble I was quite pleased with the 37 point EPITOME but TRUNNELS did for me (68 points). Trunnels for crying out loud. I'm sure Julie will claim she knew a trunnel is another word for treenail, a hard wooden pin used for fastening timbers together but I think she's just braver with her guesses than me. 40-15.

Thursday 10/07/14

All kinds of plans today. I was gonna sort more vinyl out, Julie was gonna catch up on paperwork. It's currently 3:45pm and all I've done is shop and put some salmon under the grill. Julie's done a proper shop design for me. With no Helena Bonham Carter sadly. It looks good though. 

Aggghhhh, I've not made any of these:
  •  
It's now Monday morning and the weekend is a blur. I think Thursday night ended up with more Scrabble and I think the score is now 41-16 but I'm not sure. That may include a Friday game too.

Friday 11/07/14

Julie had a chiropractor visit and came back battered, bruised and basically very pissed off. Still at least 2 weeks from being able to do owt. The steroid injection is wearing off so the pain's coming back en force. Not good. 

I've remembered now. I won at Scrabble Thursday night but got battered today. Two 8 letter words led me to lose by about 130 points. Julie needed to sleep so I headed home before another quiet night out. Had the quote from the shopfitter waiting for me. The position is most definitely still open. £500 to knock a wall down seems a bit stiff. 15 grand for all the work I want doing. Hmmmmm.

Met Ian in The Salutation. Whenever he suggest meeting in The Sal I know it means he wants a serious chat before the mayhem ensues. He did but it's none of your business. Caught up with Rob and mayhem did ensue. Lost Ian in The Woolpack, mainly 'cos I'd forgot what pub we were going too. Lost Rob somewhere between Woolpack and the RockBar so I headed home.

Saturday 12/07/14

Leeds today. Ian and a crowd of mates were having a day in Leeds and my mate TJ norton was playing at Kirkstall Festival so I decided on the two birds. one stone option. Took my fragile brain off to get fried in the Kirkstall sun. Cusworth Festival announced it's cancellation today. The organisers should have took a trip to Kirkstall Abbey to see how it's done. So much on offer for all ages and OK the weather helped but there were thousands there. 

TJ is harmonica player in Crosscut Saw but also goes solo under the banner TJ and The Suitcase. (One voice, one harmonica, one suitcase, one tambourine). It's proper old school blues. The man has a wealth of knowledge and experience in the genre and every song is introduced with a fascinating personal tale of his life as a bluesman. He is simply brilliant. You have to check him out. http://tjnortonmusic.jimdo.com/music/

Back into Leeds city centre to catch up with Ian and the crowd. The day descended into a magnificent singalong, particularly in the beer garden (corridor) of the Whitelocks pub. Managed to get the whole pub singing Bohemian Rhapsody and Duke Of Earl. And again on the train home. Though the highlight could have been Jimmy waiting at the door making sure everyone found the pub while we were all already inside drinking. It was his round though.

Sunday 13/07/14

A steady day before heading over to Julie's to see how she was and pick up my CDs for the radio. She still wasn't great and was taking it easy by doing loads of washing. Grrrrr. She was still fed up so it was agreed I'd leave her too it. Off down to Sine Fm Towers for The Other Way, joined again by the brilliant Mr. Alistair Pearson. Had a cracking show. Alistair's company is always a joy. 

I was meant to join Alistair at Cask after the show for the jam session but I had to go home, drop my stuff off and get changed. I made the schoolboy error of sitting down and basically didn't move again. 

So that was my week. The search for a shopfitter continues.

Laters

SS

The Other Way Play List Sunday 14/07/14


The Other Way - Polkadodge
Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
Recurring Dream - Tankus The Henge
Suffering You Suffering Me - Slow Club
Blinded By The Light - Bruce Springsteen
Maguerita Tea Bags(?)  (Live) - Alistair Pearson
Dancing In The Dark - Big Daddy
I Wanna Be Your Dog - The Stooges
Drinking in L.A. - Bran Van 3000
Duke Of Earl - Darts
Ain't Your Train - TJ Norton
Purple Rain - Prince
A Laptop Like You (Live) - Alistair Pearson
Reach Out - Bang Bang Romeo
Geraldine - Glasvegas
Tracy Jacks - Blur
Even The Darkness Has Arms - The Barr Brothers
Start Wearing Purple - Gogol Bordello
All The Rage Back Home - Interpol
Mens Needs - The Cribs
Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters
Bible John - The Sea Kings
The Music (Live) - Alistair Pearson
I'll Be Fine - White Valentine
Street Spirit (Fade Out) - Radiohead
5:15 - The Who
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers




 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment