Monday 16 June 2014

This Blog Kills Fascists. (I Wish)

A quick tip of the hat to Mr. Woody Guthrie:


 All will make sense by Tuesday!

Anyway, I'm flying this week. Tuesday evening and the blog is up to date. It wont last. Still, here goes.

Monday 09/06/14

Woken by a phone call to tell me my viewing appointment for some town centre premises had been put back to Wednesday morning which left me at a loose end all day. Finished last weeks blog and then the news started filtering through of the death of Rik Mayall. It saddened me greatly and I started making notes to include in this blog but then decided he and my thoughts merited their own blog. http://freelancepeanut.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-peoples-poet-is-dead.html?spref=fb

I'm not sure it truly does justice to one of our most genuinely talented comedians but I'm reasonably proud of it.

Julie was home before 10pm! Just. Healthy eating continued, still no bacon, and another victory at Scrabble for me. 23-5. Looks a bit better. Can I just say if we'd started playing 2 weeks ago the score would be 3-3!!

Tuesday 10/06/14

Another pottering day before a meeting at the NatWest. Business account successfully set up and another admiring read of my business plan. Met Julie for lunch. We didn't lunch. We mochaed. I'd binged on muesli. So many things about that sentence stagger me. Me eating muesli for starters. And the fact that you can get full on the stuff. We did buy lots of fishy products for tea that night though. I would recommend the salmon pate from Donny fish market but I'm not gonna in case you eat it all.

Julie fought with the idea of coming home with me then decided she had plants to pot and pub related work to do so headed back to Cask Corner.  I spent the afternoon campaigning against a racist site on Facebook. Facebook don't see a problem with it but if you're on the This Is Doncaster - Uncensored site and don't see a problem with it then we really do have a problem. I don't want a racist friend.


The fight continues.

Julie came home 5 hours after battling with the idea of coming home. Standard. She works too hard. I may have mentioned that before. On that note I was offered a dream job yesterday but it would take up my Saturday afternoons which sadly I wont be able to do once The Notorious Aardvark Record Shop is up and running. Julie offered to do Saturday's at the shop for me! Because 90 odd hours a week running her own business isn't enough obviously.

Two things:

One: Julie, YOU WORK TOO HARD!!!

and

Two: Julie, You're far too good to me.

She did however finish her marvellous blog. Still better and more popular than mine! http://juliecaskcornerbuckley.blogspot.com/2014/06/rock-star.html?spref=fb

The most frustrating game of Scrabble yet. I was meant to go first, couldn't do anything so I passed. Julie scored 44. I still couldn't go. Julie scored 74. 118 points down and I still hadn't had a go. The fight back began. Clawed my way into the lead thanks to the 7 letter word machine and the fact that hoboes is accepted by Scrabble checker only to eventually lose by 14 points. Genuinely gutted. 24-5.

Julie bought some nexus tablet thing. Again, me and technology. She probably bought it 'cos I'm always moaning about her being on my laptop, work related of course. We had a video chat. From one sofa to another. As you do.

Wednesday 11/06/14

Always read the small print. Even if it's not there. Had a wasted morning viewing more premises on St. Sepulchre Gate. They weren't really what I'm after anyway but also the small print said, '£57,000 per annum for all floors. Floors can be sublet at £11,500.' What the really small print said, and it was so small it had actually fell off the page was, 'This excludes the retail floor which can be leased at £50,000.' Back to the High Street. Literally.

Got home to my flat and emailed the agent for the property on High Street I've viewed asking how much mushroom related work would be done before negotiations can begin. Watch this space.  

Had a scrotum (I promise I will never mention scrotums in this blog again) related letter waiting for me. Liam, George, Charlie, Charlotte - there will never be another sibling from this side of the family.

(It's currently Wednesday 11/06/14, 13:15 hours. I'm being ridiculously efficient) 

Had another meeting with web designers Sugarcane and again came out buzzing. The ideas these guys have are astonishing. They totally get where I'm coming from. Exciting times indeed.

Absolutely brilliant open mic night at Cask Corner. Had such a laugh with my very good friends Alistair Pearson and Julie Thompson. Julie tagged me the funniest man she knows. I'll take that every day of the week. Sadly not the tallest man she's seen though. 

Discussed at length with Alistair the talent on show. And that was just a handful of the artists that Donny has to offer. I say this a lot but Doncaster is awash with musical talent. Get out there and support it. Alistair is the cleverest, sorry, most clever, songwriter I know and he's very kindly agreed to let me play bongos on his upcoming EP. I'm honoured.

Thursday 12/06/14

Up early to get to the bank and finalise all my new accounts. Felt all grown up. I need to go and do something stupid to rectify this. Slept in a bed full of plaster fallen from the ceiling that I couldn't be bothered to move. Guess that's a bit stupid.

Scrabble double header tonight. I lost both. Not by much but a loss is a loss. 26-5

Friday 13/06/14

I've only just realised having typed the date that it's Friday 13th. I've never been a suspicious person and it's a date I've always liked. I had a boss who was suspicious and always took a Friday 13th off. Idiot.

The long awaited second MapFest meeting this morning and finally it's all systems go. The festival is later than usual this year to avoid clashing with any other events and takes place 29th and 30th August. 

Fired a few more emails off re business rates and then another one about mushrooms so as again not to feel too grown up. 

Off into town to catch The Outfit at Cask. That's The Outfit - quality blues band, not The Outfits - obnoxious Sheffield indie chavs. Bumped into Rob and Jenny in The Wooplack and caught my first 5 minutes of the World Cup. For the first time in my life I just cant get excited by a major football tournament. Maybe it's too many years of England flattering to deceive or the corrupt nature of FIFA or the shameful treatment of Brazilian nationals as the money men roll into town. 

Back to Cask for a dance off with Julie's best mate, Georgia, that carried on at the RockBar. Georgia won though I maintain she used underhand tactics with the topic of conversation. Hunted potatoes unsuccessfully on the way home. 

Saturday 14/06/14

Off to York for the day with Jimmy and Ian. I love York so much and it's just a great day out. Plus it's where me and Julie had our first date. I say first date. We call it that even though it was technically our 7th or something. Depends on your definition of a date. But it gave me chance to buy her a spider necklace she'd spotted and liked on that 'first' date. I resisted the blazer I'd seen but it will happen.

A steadier than usual day in York, only the 8 pubs, though I only did 7. I replaced a pub for visits to both Hog Roast shops. Some people were having a less than steady day. We walked out of the Minster pub to see a woman fall drunkenly over a small wall. We went to help her up, though we had to wait for her mate to take the obligatory photo. Before we could assist she wet herself. You just cant buy class like that. We left her to it. 

Back into York city centre for more ale and views like this:


We'd decided on an earlier than usual train home to get back to Ian's to watch the England game, although my World Cup enthusiasm was still hiding. With it being an 11pm kick off we didn't fancy watching in a pub. Plus Julie wasn't well and had took a very rare night off so didn't need to nip to Cask to deliver spiders.

York station was a nightmare. It was race day and there's something unpleasant about a race crowd. Fights all over the platforms, people jumping on the tracks and a general sense of underlying violence.
When I worked at the Tut the worst night of the year was always Leger day. Far worse than Mad Friday or New Year's Eve

The train home was no more pleasant so it was a relief to get back and into a taxi to Ian's. An England defeat, more beer and sleep.

Sunday 15/06/14

Woke up on Ian's sofa feeling very dishevelled. Into town to meet eldest daughter George for a Father's Day coffee. She'd bought me Public Service Broadcasting on vinyl. Perfect. Love that she totally gets me. I take full responsibility for her excellent taste in music. Home for a much needed shower then off to Julie's to finally deliver presents and see if she was feeling any better. She wasn't. 

A rare empty studio at Sine FM Towers today for The Other Way. Just me. Did have a couple of quality phone interviews with Alex from Crosscut Saw, who are playing at Cask on Friday, and Joel from The Tricks - London band, friends of the show and just released their quality debut album. 

Back to Julie's with kebab (having a night off healthy eating. We even had bacon after) and to see if her not being 100% would give me a chance at Scrabble. No such luck. No letters left in the bag. Julie has 7 letters left, I have 4 (T,A,N,N) and I'm leading by 1 point. Julie played RADIOS. Leading by 20, only 1 letter left. My only option was to make a word up and pray. TRANN on a triple letter. I tried to convince Julie that Scrabble checker said it was allowed and that Trann was what climbers called the less accessible side of a mountain. I was rumbled and lost by 30 points in the end. 27-5. 

Ah well.

Laters

SS

The Other Way Playlist Sunday 15/06/14


The Other Way - Polkadodge
Pretty In Pink - The Psychedelic Furs
I Always Knew - The Vaccines
Pretty Vacant - The Sex Pistols
The Wanderer - U2 Starring Johnny Cash
Light My Fire - The Doors
Put Your Money On Me - The Struts
Elysium - Section 60
Snake Drive - Crosscut Saw
Turning Japanese - The Vapours
Refrigerator Broke - 78 Violets
Strange Glue - Catatonia
Vlad The Impaler - Kasabian
Bad Penny Blues - Humphrey Lyttelton
Temptation - New Order
Better - The Tricks
On Trial - The Tricks
This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) - Talking Heads
The Tallest Man On The Planet - Craig Manga (Music Bomb)
Bring On The Dancing Horses - Echo And The Bunnymen
Freestyle - Unicorn Hunters
Sheep - The Housemartins
Can't Stand Me Now - The Libertines
Common Thread - The John Steel Singers
Black And White Town - Doves
Wouldn't It Be Nice - The Beach Boys
I Don't Mind - The Buzzcocks
Egyptian reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers

 
 
 












No comments:

Post a Comment