Monday 18 August 2014

Where's My Cufflinks

Right, I'm starting this one early so as to try and remember all the Edinburgh stuff. Expect crap photos.

Monday 11/08/14

A quick bit of background information: For reasons too long to go into my mate Ian had a train ticket for Edinburgh that he couldn't use and asked if I wanted it. So after much deliberation, and Guinness, I decided that I quite fancied a day walking round Edinburgh on my own.

I've not been since I was about 15 but remember it being a beautiful city. It really is. You walk out of Waverley Station to this:


Take a photo as you step outside King's Cross Station and compare!

So I started off wandering down Princes Street to have a chat with Sir Walter Scott

  


and then onto the National Gallery area. The Fringe was in full swing. I wouldn't have time to take in a show but there were plenty of street performers to keep me entertained.

 
 Had a casual stroll through Princes Gardens for views like this



 
only to see a familiar chap heading towards me in a Sinclair C5.




None other than John Otway advertising his Fringe gig that night. He shook my hand but said he didn't have time to talk as he was busy driving his Sinclair C5.

I fancied going somewhere I'd not been before so gave the walk up to the castle a miss and headed to Calton Hill, stopping at a graveyard on the way where I found this mausoleum:

 
Edinburgh born philosopher who could out consume Schopenhauer and Hegel. I'd like to say a know more about him but without Monty Python I'd be hard pressed to name a philosopher. He was responsible for lobbying Edinburgh council to build a walk 'for the health and amusement of the inhabitants' though and it is Hume Walk that takes you round Calton Hill for stunning views of the Firth Of Forth and the Kingdom Of Fife. Sadly no Sunshine On Leith today:


The Forth Bridges are just out of shot to the left. The rail bridge was being painted I believe.

Only football fans will get this next bit. Just to the right of the above photo is Easter Road, home of Hibernian. Even with all of Edinburgh's beauty and history I got giddy at seeing a ground I've not seen before. I now had to see Hearts ground or my day wouldn't be complete. I climbed up to the top of The Nelson Monument and happily caught sight of the top of Tynecastle as well as getting a cracking view of Murrayfield. Trust me to a sports fan this was massive.

A wander back into the city centre to buy the obligatory Edinburgh rock and crap-gift-for-the-girlfriend then a quick jar with the ridiculously friendly locals before heading home.

Have to say the place was heaving and with all due respect to Darrin and Jack, American tourists still have the most appalling dress sense.

Got home to find a massive spider had took up residence in my now tidy flat. He's called Alan and I've lost him now which is a worry.  

Tuesday 12/08/14

Alan still remains lost. Hope he's OK. More than that I hope he doesn't decide to walk across my face while I sleep. That's all I did today, worry about a spider.

Wednesday 13/08/14

Decided it was time I found out just what is going on with my heart. It's been weeks since my consultant casually threw the words critical, aortic and stenosis in my general direction. I rang my doctor who said my heart was no longer their concern. Exact words!!!! Well that's nice to hear. Rang the hospital who's switchboard would only put me through to a woman called Karen who didn't work in the right department and couldn't get the switchboard to send me anywhere else. Eventually I found out that I'm on a list. That's it. That's all I know.

Decided to make today new music day. Another, at times, painful passing of an hour, this week saved by Augustines, Manchester Orchestra and Noah Francis Johnson.

Had a text conversation with Ian about upcoming gigs. I need a diary 'cos I'd forgot half the ones I have lined up. I'm wonderfully organised. There's about 12 lined up so far between now and the end of the year.

Thursday 14/08/14

Still no Alan. 

Did some washing today. 

Alan was in the quilt cover and didn't look at all happy. I still have the odd centipede in the shower problem (yeah I don't get that one either) so what possible use is a spider in my quilt cover. I've lost all faith in spiders.

Headed over to Julie's for veg stew and again failed to play Scrabble. Nearly two weeks without a game now. It's a worry.

Friday 15/08/14

Saving myself for a wedding Saturday which could also be why I cant remember anything I did on Friday. 

Saturday 16/08/14

Had an email waiting offering me press passes for next week's Galtres Festival in Helmsley. You know I love a freebie. Staggeringly due to work, gigs, trips to Manchester and other assorted reasons I'm struggling to get a plus one. I'm haggling for more tickets so I can take my kids.

Dug my suit out and headed into town. Nipped up to Doncaster Pride first, checked out issue 3 of the Doncopolitan mag then off to the Regent for the wedding. £4.30 a pint!! Sod that. Free pimms and wasps on Regent Square after the ceremony though, which was nice. 

I'd like to furnish you with more details but it's all a bit hazy. Masons then Woolpack is as good as you're gonna get. 

Got woke up at 2am by two lads fighting outside my flat. Not really fighting actually, just lots of squaring up and dancing around as their respective girlfriends told them to grow up. One guy had took his suit jacket and shirt off for the unscheduled bout. It was his shout of 'Where's my cufflinks' that woke me up. The fight never really got going and they wandered off in different directions but for some reason the guy didn't bother picking his shirt or jacket up (or cufflinks), just left them draped over a fence.

Ten minutes later some guy walked past, saw the jacket and decided he was having it. Good work fella.

Sunday 17/08/14

Pottering, as is my wont, before heading down to Sine FM Towers for The Other Way. Julie failed to join me by falling asleep but Mr. Rob Dannatt did put in a guest appearance. Another highly enjoyable show. Off to Julie's to be fed and play a very overdue game of Scrabble. I won! 46-21 are the current overall scores. My half term report reads 'a marked improvement'.

Off now to nag people into going to a cracking festival for nowt.

Laters

SS

The Other Way Play List Sunday 17/08/14

The Other Way - Polkadodge
Hope Street - The Levellers
Undercover Martyn - Two Door Cinema Club
Airport - The Motors
Weary Eyes - Augustines
Everest - Public Service Broadcasting
Girl From Mars - Ash
Bible John - The Sea kings
Cemetry (Ode to the IRS)  - Bang Bang Romeo
Once In A Lifetime - Talking Heads
Can Stand The Rain - The Talks
Tumbling Dice - The Rolling Stones
Love Is The Law - The Seahorses
The Legend Of Dandelion And Shoe - Alistair J. Pearson
Papa Was A Rollin' Stone - The Temptations
Johnny Too Bad - UB40
Pacifier - Catfish And The Bottlemen
Follow The Road - The Dunwells
Gold Lion - Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs
Love Is A Wonderful Colour - The Icicle Works
Graceland - The Bible
Lady Off London Road - The Velcro Teddy Bears
Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You - Andy Williams
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers










No comments:

Post a Comment