Tuesday 12 August 2014

Owl Stretching Time

So a late blog this week. I spent all day Monday in Edinburgh, more of that in next week's blog, hence no blog yesterday and then today the news came through of Robin Williams' death and frankly I couldn't be motivated to do anything then. Such a talented and genuinely, naturally hilarious man. Such a sad loss. It shows that the illness that is depression can strike anyone down. For those who say 'just get over it', you know nothing. To my friends that I know who do suffer, you know where I am.

So here goes:

Monday 04/08/14

I'll  be honest, again I'm relying on memory so this could all end up being fictional. After the buzz of Blackfest and a stunning show on the 3rd I was brought crashing down with the news that The Darlingtons had decided to call it a day. The most energetic band I've ever seen on stage, with such potential to go massive it came as a shock. I've spoke to a couple of Darlos since and their manager Neil and they all seem pretty upbeat. Hopefully they may have a rethink after a much needed break.

Had a meeting at Waterdale to discuss the terms of the lease for The Notorious Aardvark Record Shop. My proposal's gone upstairs, I believe that's the accepted phrase. In all truth my proposal's in an email that's probably gone to the same office I had my meeting in. Anyway, watch this space.

Julie wasn't feeling well so Scrabble which started Sunday night remains unfinished.

Tuesday 05/08/14

Tuesday. Er, not got a clue. New tunes maybe? No idea. Stayed in, I know that much. Scrabble still unfinished. 

Just started on Wednesday and remembered that Tuesday did involve a dive into town to get daughter No. 2 a birthday present.

Wednesday 06/08/14

Charlie (daughter No.2)'s birthday. Nipped round to see her with her present and to frown at the inappropriate cards some people send to a 15 year old girl. 15!! That's just bloody ridiculous. I'm sure she was only 6 yesterday. 

Then it was off to pick Julie up and head off to York to see The Waterboys. The greatest band that has ever graced this planet, though Julie, like a lot of people, hadn't heard of them till you mention Whole Of The Moon.

Had a brief wander round York and had to stop Julie buying a baby grand piano. My back was playing up. No way I was carrying that back to Donny. 

Barbican for The Watterlads and they were in top form. Steve Wickham has firmly replaced Anto Thistletwaite as Mike Scott's right hand man and they put on a sublime show. The Big Music is still there but reworked into folk/rock gems. Fishermans' Blues, A Girl Called Johnny, As Mad As The Mist And Snow, The Pan Within and A Bang On The Ear were all epic. I've been with The Waterboys since 1983 which means most of their fans are my age i.e. old enough to know better. The Barbican was still bouncing though.

Brilliant was Julie's verdict and she couldn't work out how she only knew one song which, as she correctly pointed out, is not their best.



Back to the hotel to find that the fan they'd put in our room was having no effect at all. Too hot to sleep so 4am found me wandering around York. Didn't see any ghosts. Surprisingly busy though. And a had a chat with some well mannered geese.

Thursday 07/08/14

I awoke to find Julie gone. She'd left her bag fully packed and in plain view so as not to alarm me too much. And a message on facebook saying she was in the pub opposite drinking copious amounts of coffee. I eventually joined her and we wandered round York. Saw some very disgruntled owls who seemed to object to being on show in the middle of the day. Can't really blame them. I had a mint choc chip ice cream to prove I do eat green food and promptly filled my beard with it. Had a look at some Norwegians looking at a Norwegian grave in a Norwegian graveyard then headed home.

Back to my flat 'cos we were both knackered . The podcast of last Sunday's show had finally gone online so I shared that with the world and had an enjoyable night taking the praise of fellow Strutters.

Friday 08/08/14

A lazy day before heading to join JJ on the first 45. We were announcing a competition to see The Dunwells at Sheffield Plug on Sept 13th but I just ended up waffling over his whole show. Good fun though. Got out of the studio to find the North Atlantic had been deposited on Donny so any thoughts of going out were soon dispersed and I waited for my taxi to ferry me home.

Saturday 09/08/14

Plans today! Tidy my flat. It desperately needed it. Head to York for a stag do. Get back to Donny to meet up with another group of mates. I have no idea why I plan. As my old boss always said, 'The plan is there is no plan.' Went crazy tidying, insomuch as I was incredibly thorough. Furniture moving, mopping, polishing, the works. It's a worry. By the time I'd finished York was out the question so I pottered in my tidy flat before heading into town where I bumped into a group of mates who were neither of the two groups I planned on meeting. As is the way with these things all three groups eventually ended up in the same place where I got very confused and very drunk.

Sunday 10/08/14

As is my wont now I spent a very lazy day before heading down to Sine FM Towers for The Other Way. The South Atlantic was deposited on Donny in the afternoon though and I'd left my kitchen window open. So much for all that mopping. Julie was joining me this week which was just as well 'cos she had all my cds. (Yes I still use cds. Told you I'm useless with anything more technical). She turned up bang on 6 though so I had to embrace technology (soundcloud) and stumble through the start of the show. Job done and we headed up to the jam session at Cask Corner before going home for some much needed sausages. Scrabble still remained untouched from a week ago. We're slacking! It still remains untouched as I write this on Tuesday afternoon.

That was that really. I'm off to eat some Edinburgh rock.

Laters

SS

The Other Way Play List Sunday 10/08/14

The Other Way - Polkadodge
The Bucket - Kings Of Leon
Watch Yourself - The Darlingtons
Hunger - Frankie And The Heartstrings
A Girl Called Johnny - The Waterboys
Goodnight My City - The Dunwells
Cosmic Dancer - T-Rex
Silver - Echo And The Bunnymen
Obstacles - The Broadcasts
All I Want Is You - Barry Louis Polisar
Young Americans - David Bowie
Nocturnal - The Bedroom Hour
(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher - Jackie Wilson
Rotations - The Darlingtons
Nuclear - Mike Oldfield
Loner In Disguise - Puppet Rebellion
The Weight - The Band
Sweet Nothings - Jointpop
Put Your Money On Me - The Struts
Brand New Friend - Lloyd Cole And The Commotions
Shut In - Strand Of Oaks
Colourblind - This City Limits
Recovery - Frank Turner
Valentine's Day - The 48ks
Be My Yoko Ono - Barenaked Ladies
Bats - The Darlingtons
Mack The Knife - Louis Armstrong
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers





No comments:

Post a Comment