Wednesday 19 March 2014

Diary Of A Lazy Freelance Peanut Blogger With A Penchant For Aardvarks

My excuses for the delay in blogging are many. Not been up to much (lie), waiting on podcast of first radio show back to confirm the playlist (lie), lack of time (lie) and laziness (true).

I may turn the blog into a weekly diary. No excuse then. Given that the last blog was two weeks ago though I'm bound to forget something crucial.

So what have I been up to since Whitby? Eating pie rapidly, staring into windows of empty shops, gigs (natch), not doing the ale trail, panicking about being back on the radio, judging singing competitions, York, more pie (less rapidly) and spending time with the gorgeous Miss Octavia Aardvark.

I'll be answering questions at the end of the blog.

Right then. Pie. Andy Milner at The Yorkshire Pie House (Donny's premier take away), (Am I using too many brackets)? (Probably) has started a new pie challenge. After my woeful attempt at his last eat 2,4kg of pie in an hour challenge that left me ill and broken (felt like I'd been beaten up by a giant steak and potato pie) (more brackets) (hmmmmmmm) I fancied my chances on this one. A speed challenge to eat 650g of chicken and ham pie. Andy had set the bench mark at 95 seconds. He's small. And thin. I'm big. And fat. Piece of pie this one.

Took me 8 minutes!!

I give up.

Empty shops. I'm seriously considering opening an independent record store in Donny. Watch this space. I've been watching spaces through windows and think I've found the perfect location. All I need now is for someone to tell me who owns said vacant lot. Spent all day trying to find out and all I've gleaned so far is, well, nothing really. I'm thinking space for a coffee shop, stage, listening booth and of course racking for quality tunage on all formats, books, merch, sheet music etc. Any serious comments on this are most welcome.

Gigs. Plenty of those. The three gigs in one day didn't happen due to my inability to get out of bed on a Saturday afternoon. I missed Fallen Trees in Rotherham but did catch Bang Bang Romeo destroying the Leadmill. They were awesome. Full on rocked out with Starsie owning the stage. It's always good when the headline act start worrying how they can follow the support. So proud. I've been with BBR since their very early days and seeing them turn into serious contenders for greatness is like seeing your children thrive. I confess to shedding a tear. Then on to Plug for Polkadodge, simply one of the hottest live bands out there. I'm honoured to name my new show after one of their songs. Another band that had the crowd eating out of the palm of their hands. Thursday night found me back in Sheffield again. In a tent. On Fargate. Caught a quality acoustic set from Velcro Teddybears and I've just remembered their cd's still lost in the depths of Miss A's handbag. Then Polkadodge (I so LOVE those guys) and The Darlingtons. Two more stunning sets although the sparse crowd detracted from the gig slightly. If you've not seen any of those bands then you have to. It's as simple as that.

Friday and time to hook up with the North East mates Al the Loon and Mickey. I love em to bits but I'm so glad I don't see them every weekend. My liver couldn't take it. Ended up at Cask Corner with rockabilly band Memphis Cruisers flinging a double bass around the stage. I could watch Al the Loon dance for ever. It's a joy to behold.

Not doing the ale trail. Saturday I was meant to do the ale trail but I failed to get out of bed for the second successive Saturday. Why? you ask. None of your business, I reply. Anyway having missed my train by six hours I arranged to meet the chaps later that night in Donny. Ten PM in Tut was the somewhat loose plan. Got to eleven and I'd not heard owt. The following text message took place:

Me: Where are you guys? Thought we were meeting up?
Al: Manchester.
Me: Why?
Al: It's what we do man.
Me: Fair enough. See you tomorrow.
Al: Gan canny.

Back on the radio. Yes I was back at Sine last Sunday with new show The Other Way and I was a shaking, sweating mess before I went on air. Only spent four and a half years doing radio and it was like my brain had hit delete on everything radio orientated. Thankfully my good friend Rob Dannatt from Sine FM's Livewire joined me to hold my hand. And the very brilliant and far too intelligent than is legal Mr. Alistair Pearson also guested on the show, bookending my Sine hiatus having guested on the final Bigger All Important Breakfast Show. He was there to hold my hand. Also there briefly were the returning ale trail posse Ian, Mickey and Al the Loon. They failed to hold my hand. Their moral support consisted of flashing their bare arses. Thanks chaps. And perched in the corner was Miss Octavia Aardvark. She did hold my hand.

I really was a nervous wreck at the start of the show. Talking too quick then drying up and very dry mouthed. Soon got into the flow though and as was always the case I ran out of time. I need a longer show. It was great to be back though and I'm very grateful to all at Sine FM for having me back.

Judging singing competitions. Pub idol at Urban Bar last night. Think that's all that needs saying about that one apart from some people are very bad losers.

York. Had a ridiculously enjoyable day out in York where we failed abysmally to stay sober or get on a boat. Miss Aardvark did invent slinting though, which was nice.

More pie. I eat pie. What can I say?

Spending time with the gorgeous Miss Octavia Aardvark. Again, mind your own business.

Right I'm off to plan a radio show and try and get it right this time.

Laters

SS


Slint. verb UK slɪnt
To slowly slip off a stationary chair or bench even though the chair has not moved. Often with the accompaniment of a Singapore Sling.

The Other Way Playlist - Sunday 16/03/14

The Other way - Polkadodge
The Opener- The Courteneers
Good To Be Back Home Again - The Tourists
Let's Dance To Joy Division - The Wombats
These Days - Joy Division
Recover - Dexters
Elysium - Section 60
Light My Fire - The Doors
Pictures Of You(Live) - Alistair Pearson
Undercover Martyn - Two Door Cinema Club
The Caterpillar - The Cure
Where Did We Lose Each Other - Your Favorite Enemies
Can Stand The Rain - The Talks
Cemetry (An Ode To The IRS) - Bang Bang Romeo
Never Knew Your Name - Madness
I Got You - Split Enz
Alternative Ulster - Stiff Little Fingers
Angel Girl - George Burkill
The Catfish - Polkadodge
Rotations - The Darlingtons
Dream Baby Dream - Bruce Springsteen
Utopia(Live) - Alistair Pearson
Antarctica - Sound Of Guns
California USA - Nexus Noise
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers 






No comments:

Post a Comment