Monday 14 April 2014

Scrabble, Chickens, Mops, Nakedness

A change of tack this week. I've not checked but I feel my entries for each day get longer as the blog/diary does on. Possibly 'cos more happens at a weekend but more than likely cos it's fresh in the memory so I'm gonna do each day as it unfolds. Saying that it's already Wednesday so I'm lying to you all. Again. Still, here goes:

Monday 07/04/14

Scrabble and toad in the hole night. A triumph! In so much as the toad in the hole was delicious. The scrabble took it's usual route. 0 for 7. Lost by 127 points. Ridiculous! Octavia insists she isn't worried by my threat of mead. We shall see.

Tuesday 08/04/14

New music day. I may have mentioned before that I get sent a plethora of new music to wade through from bands/pluggers/promoters all wanting some airplay. It's a double edged sword. I have the utmost (that said moist at first - that's a worry) for any act trying to make it but some need better advice. Such as you're awful, just stop it. It does make the odd gem I come across all the more worthwhile though. So as Mrs. Aardvark headed off to do a proper job I sat in with a stack of cds and a million emails. (For a million read 38). I should admit I'd been lax on the emails of late. 

A quick thanks to Tennis, The War On Drugs, Eagulls and A Band Called Quinn for making the process less painful. 

Headed into town for lunch and ended up having an impromptu look at premises in Waterdale. I think I may have found the spot. Exciting times!

Back at Cask in the evening for Polish band 6th Of July. They were very polished. Do you see what I did there? Well worth a listen. The Tyskie flew and my limited Polish came in useless. My limited Polish consists of no words, apart from Tyskie. Did a spot of googling and the only relevance to the band name is that on the 6th of July 1974 Poland beat Brazil in the World Cup 3rd/4th Play Off. Works for me.

Wednesday 09/04/14

Alarm went off at 8. Had to get home to get my toilet fixed. Eventually woke up at half 9. Bugger. Thankfully they were running late too. I should now be drowned centipede free. 

A quick call to the powers that be re Waterdale premises and they're very keen on my idea. I'm a little giddy now!

Let's get this straight. I've failed abysmally in the doing this daily thing. It's now 5pm on Monday and I'm trying to remember what I did last week. I can't even remember what I did this morning.

I know at some point Wednesday evening the rest of my belongings finally turned up meaning this is now home:





If you want to know the full story behind it you'll have to ask. Way too much to go into here.

Wednesday ended up as per at the Cask Corner open mic night. I remember little apart from a disturbing version of Two Little Boys by The Gurning Queens.

Thursday 10/04/14

Thursday. What the pigging hell did I do Thursday? I remember getting trapped trying to get off a bus by two dogs fighting. Or was that Friday? I also know I was meant to help mend a fence. Literally, not metaphorically. Don't think I've fallen out with anyone recently. Those who know me will realise that me helping to fix anything involves me holding things while someone else does all the work. I am totally useless. Thankfully Mrs. A is a dab hand at that kind of thing but the fence still remains unmended. Instead I went on a fruitless search for Cream Soda. Failed at that too.

Friday 11/04/14

Ah this was definitely the day of the two dogs fighting in the doorway of a bus. I got off relatively unscathed apart from tripping over a leash/lead. What's the difference? Friday night ended with more sewage disasters. So glad they fixed my toilet! Finished mopping at 6:30 Saturday morning. The only way to spend a Friday night.

Saturday 12/04/14

A lazy morning before getting picked up by the Polkadodge boys for a trip to Scunny for a gig with The Darlingtons. I have friends in Scunthorpe so will try to be polite. Maybe I should just skip to Sunday. Sadly the sound at The Abacus was poor leading to both bands cutting their sets short. Polkadodge have a chicken mascot, Claudia, who one of the locals took a shine to. Amusing at first but then it became clear she wasn't going to relinquish said chicken. After much failed persuading and grappling, which included her delivering an impressive left jab to my jaw, Claudia was saved and we skipped town.

 

For some reason I ended up drunkenly doing Julie's pots at 2am. I'm sure there was a reason. 

Attempted a three way skype chat with Mark Kelly (Sheffield) and Darrin Snider (Fishers, Indiana). It was an unmitigated failure. Admittedly I've never used Skype before and was drunk. Hardly ideal. On Sunday Darrin was doing a 12 hour marathon radio show raising money for cancer research and the idea was we'd all hook up for a chat on the show.

Sunday 13/04/14

A lazy day before The Other Way at 6. Switched the laptop on just in time for Darrin to Skype me for a chat live on air. We were in bed, naked. Well it was 3:30pm our time! Fence mending had gone out the window again. Eventually got up to do some radio. Was joined on the show by the frighteningly talented and equally frighteningly young Carla May for some live tunage. If you didn't hear her check out the podcast. She has a stunning voice. Tried a live Skype link up but it was chaos in Fishers so we scrapped that idea. Probably just as well. Me and technology etc.

Back home for curry and bonus Scrabble. I was flying. In the lead till Julie played her standard 7 letter word (Insures I believe) and parity was restored. By far my best effort yet. Only lost by 23 points but a loss is a loss. 0 for 8! 

Got Skyped by Darrin again at 11:30. We were in bed. I do get up and dressed ocassionally Darrin. Honest. 

So far today I've had a row with a holiday company and a bus driver (how dare I have the right fare)! What did I say about not falling out with people? But given it's Monday it'll have to wait till next week now for me to regale you with the tales. I've wrote this paragraph purely as a reminder about today, if you catch my drift.

Laters

SS

The Other Way Playlist Sunday 13/04/14

The Other Way - Polkadodge
Whisky In The Jar - Metallica
Don't Look Behind You - The Talks
Song 2 - Blur
Summer's Child - The Coopers
Pictures Of You - The Cure
Lips Of An Angel - Douglas Francis (Exclusive)
I Got Rhythm - Ella Fitzgerald
Bassline - Reverend And The Makers
Slight Return - The Bluetones
Fly Away - Carla May (Live)
Blue Skinned Beast - Madness
By Your Hand - Los Campesinos
Start Wearing Purple - Gogol Bordello
Under Pressure - The War On Drugs
I'm On Fire - Bruce Springsteen
Saturn 5 - Inspiral Carpets
Red Alert - Basement Jaxx
Brand New Me - Douglas Francis (Exclusive)
Ma And Pa - Fishbone
The 8 O Clock Blues - Famous Villains
When I Close My Eyes - Middleman
Lonely - Surburban Winter (Music Bomb)
Beverley Penn - The Waterboys
A Storm Is Coming - Ferryman
Hearts Are Breaking - High Hazels
Dave - Missing Andy
Midnight Wave - Two Wounded Birds
Egyptian Reggae - Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers



 

No comments:

Post a Comment